Better brakes - Final Opportunity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better brakes - Final Opportunity

Following the success of the project to import Dual 7" Servo kits and fit them to Sportsters/Cabrios/Hunters I have now placed a further order for 18 more servos for MOC members. If you have not confirmed your interest to join in this last batch there is still time - but only until this Sunday evening, May 13th - for me to amend the order: I have to confirm the final number on Monday 14th.

The cost of the kit will be £115, inc p&p, and includes a Dual 7" servo, adaptor plate, and clevis. You will require your own Ford Brake master cylinder..

Those who have already fitted one of these kits have all had the same response - it has transformed the performance of their cars, and has added greatly to the pleasure of driving their cars knowing they can stop!

If you would like to be added to this final order, please contact me, either through this Forum, or by phone:
    Mobile 07968 8three5101.

Those already included are:
    David Cinnington
    Ian kitchener
    Derek Kitchener
    John Clemence
    Graham Birkdale
    David Luck
    Clive Mason
    John Millington
    Peter Lister
    Malcolm Platt
    Norman Ball
    Peter Holmes
    Jeremy Ward
    Peter Edwards

Many thanks to all above for joining in and making a batch order possible.

Kind regards to all
    Mike
    Regards

Re: Better brakes - Final Opportunity

Hi Mike spoke to you at stoneliegh about a duelservo just read your post any chance there will be some orderd in the future jeff ganderton

Comment

Originally posted by j.gan View Post
      Hi Mike spoke to you at stoneliegh about a duelservo just read your post any chance there will be some orderd in the future jeff ganderton
      Hi Jeff

I have sent you a Private Message - can you get back to me quickly, if possible?
      Mobile 07968 8three5101.
      Regards
      Mike

Comment

I realise I have missed the boat with this order Mike, but I may be very interested in the future. I have good brakes at the moment, but with a slightly tuned V8 I feel I need more for peace of mind. My Cabrio was made from a Sierra and has discs on the front but drums on the rear. Could I fit this modification? If so, what is entailed. I would really like some details. Can that be arranged?

Comment

Originally posted by Mikejj View Post
          I realise I have missed the boat with this order Mike, but I may be very interested in the future. I have good brakes at the moment, but with a slightly tuned V8 I feel I need more for peace of mind. My Cabrio was made from a Sierra and has discs on the front but drums on the rear. Could I fit this modification? If so, what is entailed. I would really like some details. Can that be arranged?
          Hi Mike. I live in Exeter and have already done this conversion on my (V8)Hunter and can show you what is required. I have sent you a PM with contact details. Peter.

Comment

Peter

Do you know what servo was fiteed to your Cabrio before you swapped it over?
            I have had a number of V8 owners contact me about the Dual 7" upgrade. However they do not have the Metro servo fitted - I believe the earlier ones had Cortina servo fitted?
            If yours was a Cortina, it is useful to know, as it proves it is a good upgrade for the Cortina servo as well as the Metro.

Comment

Hi Mike. I am sure it is / was the Metro servo on mine as not as large a diameter as my old Sierra one (1987 2.0GL) which would definitely not have fitted inside the side panel. Also it had the short integral clevis / push rod, whereas my Sierra one had a long push rod with a pointed end and clip attachment to the pedal.

Do you have any boost ratios for the MBM and Sierra & Metro servos to compare? Did all the Sierra variants use the same servo? Peter.

Oops! Must engage brain before keyboard! Please ignore all about Sierra above. Mine was definitely not a Cortina servo. Question about comparing servo ratios still applies. Peter.
              Last edited by greyV8pete; 08-06-12, 11:02 AM. Reason: Ref to Sierra incorrect.

Comment

Hi Mike

Do you know what servo you currently have fitted?
                If not, what is the maximum external diameter?
                As you have a V8 it is likely you have either a Cortina, or Metro servo. Either way your brakes would be improved considerably by the Dual servo.
                Can you PM me your contact tel. no.?

Or give me a call on : 07968 835101

Mike
                Last edited by Mike; 09-06-12, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Hi Mike JJ

It looks as though I may have two Dual servos available shortly - a long story - but if you are still interested I can pencil you in for one of them?
                  If you are still interested - Tel : 07968 835101

Regards
                  Mike Garner

Comment

Mike JJ. Did you receive my Personal Message with my phone number?

Comment

Dual 7" Servo : Better Brakes

Hi Mike (mike&jeansy.org)

Thank you for your text message expressing an interest in our Dual servo project, unfortunately the email address you provided does not work. So here is a copy of my draft answer I couldn't send!

As the project has progressed, I have to say, I keep on learning more and more, so yes I can pass on quite a bit of information.

Essentially the Dual 7" servo will be of interest to any owner who has either the Metro servo, or the older Cortina 7" servo fitted to their Marlin. It is unlikely to offer any benefit to cars where the standard Sierra servo was fitted.

The crux of the matter is Ford designed the Sierra braking system around the standard Sierra servo in conjunction with all the other standard components. When adopted complete in a Sierra based Marlin, the brake system works very well in a lighter weight car. Marlin introduced their own pedal box for engine gearbox combinations requiring an hydraulic clutch, and to make more engine bay space for the likes of the Rover V8, and latterly BMW engines with slanted blocks and double overhead cams. This pedal box required a smaller diameter servo to fit inside the engine bay side panel: hence the smaller diameter Metro unit was chosen. However, in doing so, Marlin have reduced the servo assitance, and the brakes on Cabrios, Hunters and Sportster have been viewed as barely adequate: this feeling has been exaserbated by modern cars having ever bigger servos fitted (in conjunction with ABS) requiring very little brake pedal pressure from the driver.

The Dual 7" servo offers almost identical assistance to the standard Sierra servo whilst retaining the smaller 7" diameter of the Metro (& Cortina) servo: it has a very similar stud fixing pattern to the Metro servo, making it a simple physical swap.
                      I have designed and sourced a laser cut adaptor plate which bolts to the new Dual 7" servo, and accepts the standard Sierra master cylinder. BMW based owners have found the BMW master cylinder will not fit the Dual servo as it has a closed face, and will not accept the depth of the BMW m/c body. These owners have had to source a new Ford Sierra 22mm bore master cylinder (around £45 new). Once fitted the brakes perform equally well in a Ford or BMW system.

To put numbers to the difference between a Metro servo system and the Dual 7" servo, one BMW Sportster owner has carried out a series of brake tests on an airfield. From a steady 70mph, the Metro assited brakes slowed the car from a fixed point to stationary over an average distance of 210 feet, measured over four tests, braking as physically hard as he could. With the Dual 7" servo fitted the average distance was just 103 feet, without maximum leg pressure.
                      Pressing harder, and taking the brakes to locking point on a fith run, reduced the stopping distance to just 80 feet. For the sake of his tyres he did not repeat the test!

The explanation is that brakes require a minimum critical pressure to work - discs more than drums. The standard Sierra set up was designed by Ford to provide that critical pressure. The Metro servo lacks sufficient diaphragm surface area to provide that critical pressure in the Marlin pedal box design set up. The new Dual 7" servo, has the required surface area, and takes the brake system back to the way Ford intended it to be in the Sierra.

This whole project is very well documented on the Madabout Kitcars website, and will take you through most of the questions and answers you may have as we worked our way through the project. Although there are 16 pages, you'll soon be able to skip through and pick up the telling bits of information, and issues we encountered.

If you are still interested, give me a call on 07968 835101 anytime (I work from home, so anytime is ok).

Regards

Mike
                      Last edited by Mike; 27-06-12, 08:13 AM.

Comment

Re: Dual 7" Servo : Better Brakes

Hi Mike,
                        I realise that i am very late in showing interest in the Dual Servo purchase but I see you may have two Dual servo's available in the near future and that one has already been taken. If the second is still available i would like to purchase it from you if possible. Will try and ring on the number you posted in your reply to Mikejj.
                        Regards Mike Woodley.
                        What is it about the name Mike and Marlins?

Comment

Originally posted by mike.woodley View Post
                          Hi Mike,
                          I realise that i am very late in showing interest in the Dual Servo purchase but I see you may have two Dual servo's available in the near future and that one has already been taken. If the second is still available i would like to purchase it from you if possible. Will try and ring on the number you posted in your reply to Mikejj.
                          Regards Mike Woodley.
                          What is it about the name Mike and Marlins?

Hi Mike

As per our telephone call I may have one available - it depends what MBM decide to do. I am away on holiday next week, so will let you know when I get back.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                            Hi Mike

As per our telephone call I may have one available - it depends what MBM decide to do. I am away on holiday next week, so will let you know when I get back.

Mike
                            Hi Mike Woodley (there being so many Mikes!)

I have had a couple of other owners express a late interest in the Dual 7" servo kit. If there are a couple more interested owners out there sitting on the fence, who would like to join join in, I can order one last case of 6 servos.
                            It is clear the interest/demand has now almost run its course, having supplied 45 members already, so I will only order a case of 6 if I have committed interest for at least 5 of them.

For anyone still sitting on the fence thinking " I perhaps should join in while I can" - this is THE last chance of having someone organise the complete kit for you. After this batch - I will not be ordering any more.

Regards
                            Mike

Comment

Hi Mike,
                              I tried to reply to your pm but not sure if you got it.
                              Yes i am interested. You can contact me on 07763213288 or [email protected].
                              Regards Mike.

Comment

Working...
                              X