X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cosworth cabrio latest update

Originally posted by bryannewell View Post
    Hi Cameron
    Just did a search on Ebay for Turbo Lighter!
    Huge selection available!
    Very useful bit of kit if you need quick direct heat
    Probably o/k for lighting Ciggies too but as a non smoker I woud'nt know!!
    Regards
    Bryan
    .............and setting fire to your plastic coated wiring!!!!!!!!!!?????????

Comment

I have been looking at improving my diff mount as on serious foot down stuff it moves around, 210bhp I need to sort it out. Various option from the Sierra Cosworth boys around poly mounts but also this solid mount which seems in favour in other kit car circles. The poly bush comes in around £120 and the solid one well I could make without to much trouble.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by CosworthCabrioLee; 18-05-12, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CosworthCabrioLee View Post
        I have been looking at improving my diff mount as on serious foot down stuff it moves around, 210bhp I need to sort it out. Various option from the Sierra Cosworth boys around poly mounts but also this solid mount which seems in favour in other kit car circles. The poly bush comes in around £120 and the solid one well I could make without to much trouble.
        Hi Lee

I've been looking at this too, as I noticed my diff moving around without any wheel load when it was up on stands!. Mark Scott has loaned me his Polybush bracket as per your photo, and it greatly reduces the diff movement, but I am concerned with the NVH (Noise-Vibration-Harshness).

IMG_0881.jpg

The solid steel mount in your other photo will make for a noisey back end with a lot of vibration - I really would not recommend it for a road going car - track days maybe?
        The Ford Scorpio Ultima 7.5" diff had a "Koala" type double rubber bush which Ford had invested a lot of time and money in , in an attempt to compete with the smoothness of their German competitors.
        From the photo of the Koala arrangement, you can see that this will significantly reduce the degree of movement in the drive shaft plane compared to the old Sierra D bracket. And with two widely spaced connecting points it will reduce the rotation in the propshaft plane. Two sets of rubber will help dissipate the vibration too.

IMG_2281.jpg

I'm currently considering making a similar twin rubber mount arrangement which bolts to the back of the standard Sierra 7" diff - as per the diagram below courtesy of Jason. Hopefully it will have the added advantage of limiting the rotation around the drive shaft plane, and around the propshaft plane, as well as being retro fitable to any Sierra diff.

I am considering two options. One is to cut two steel brackets from two front diff mounts from a Scorpio (see photo below of standard bracket), and weld them up as above: alternatively I could cut the two mounts of the diff case, and make it from aluminium.

If I can locate a second steel front bracket, I'll make it from steel first, as it will be easier to fabricate. Then, if it is successful, I may make a second one in aluminium.
        When its complete and I've had a chance to test it I'll let you know how I get on - but don't hold your breath!

IMG_2282.jpg
        Last edited by Mike; 23-05-12, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
          .............and setting fire to your plastic coated wiring!!!!!!!!!!?????????
          Hi Mike
          These lighters give such a direct heat that melting the wire coating is rarely a problem!!
          Cheers
          Bryan
          Stapley Bryan

Comment

I think I will get one just to set fire to things they look cool!

Comment

Well the radiator is in and the problem that caused the issue has been resolved, took a little time to bleed but all circulating and the fan cutting in and out like a real one. It's had a good wash to wipe up any splashed anti freeze and polish. Sitting in the garden with a beer admiring it in the sun.

Comment

Well the perfect day, test drove the cabrio to see if all was ok with the cooling system, a slight adjustment with one of the hoses and a good run out this afternoon in the heat, in traffic the cooling system handled it well.
                Then tonight a summers drive to carlisle airport for a quick gallop round in my dads plane for a hour and now sitting with a beer in the garden

Perfect day .......
                Last edited by CosworthCabrioLee; 23-05-12, 08:04 PM.

Comment

I have never been happy with the black wipers on the cabrio, so got some Stainless arms off a MK2 Granada and shortened them to the desired length, as for the blades these are MGB 12" modified to fit.

I am also in the process of changing the top hose filler neck to the radiator, as again never been happy with it as the orginal one leaks now and again, not sure if I should put the Kenlowe thermal switch back in or modify the housing and weld a boss on, and put a screw in switch.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by CosworthCabrioLee; 09-06-12, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Hi Lee
                    Hope you have a good pair of sunglasses with all that Bling!! What's Bob got in mind to stay ahead of you? Regards Alan

Comment

Finally got the top hose filler changed and a new kenlowe switch fitted all working well, now turned my attention to cleaning or replacing the idle speed control valve as sometimes the engine hunts a little; like most thing on the car lots have to come off to get to the iscv also taking the opertinity to replace all the vacuum pipes and clips.

Might this winter remove the plenum chamber and have a go at polishing it as its alloy can't be that difficult can it ?

Comment

While looking on the Internet under iscv I have found the you can completely strip the valve down to clean it so hopefully no need for a new one, the iscv is the same on many ford engines and is not just unique to the cosworth link below

Comment

Running again, seems much smoother on tick over bit of a job but worth it

Comment

Re: Cosworth cabrio latest update (Power Steering)

Thought I would update you all with my latest progress on the Cabrio...........Electric power steering............

I have always thought that my Cabrio was heavy and you could not chuck it about and if you did it was hard work, power steering was the answer and looked at putting a Hydraulic sierra rack and pump on put really struggled for room in the engine bay, so decided to go for electric column from a Corsa C, not sure it would fit in the foot well, so here is how I installed it.

1, Removed column from a corsa at the breakers yard, looked at corsa b columns but on the corsa C the ECU is fixed to the column, paid £60 for the column, ecu, and uj shaft
                            2, Bought a sierra column off Ebay for £45 as I did not want to ruin my existing column if it did not work out
                            3, After careful measuring I decided were to put the PAS in the foot well paying attention to height and leg room
                            4, The sierra shaft was cut just behind the washer that the large spring locates on, a collar was then turned down with same inside OD as corsa and outside OD same as sierra and shrunk on pinned and welded into place so that’s the steering wheel end sorted, and the outside sierra column just goes over as it would on a sierra
                            5, The triangular shaft was cut off the sierra column and a fixed using the corsa UJ cut in half to pick the corsa splines, a boss was turned to fix it to and then shrunk on pinned and welded, however the Triangular shaft was left very long to allow positioning in the foot well, forward and back, once in the correct position the triangular shaft was cut to length
                            6, The column is fixed in place using the sierra outer column so I can use the sierra stalks and surround.
                            7, Once the bearing is fitted in the bulk head 2 z shape bracket were made to hold the column but really to stop any sideways movement in case the motor try’s to turn on its self.
                            8, Wiring was easy to heavy duty wires go to the battery via a 40 AMP fuse
                            9 I purchased a control box off EBay the simulates the road speed, which means you can adjust the amount of pressure it take to turn the steering wheel with a neat controller on the dash.

And that really is it; you can have it feather light or almost as heavy as non power steering car so those people who want the feedback through the steering can have it
                            On the road its truly amazing it has transformed it into a modern day sportscar that you can really chuck about with ease.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Put a new 12" motolita on to replace the 13" wood motolita also

Comment

Hi Lee, thanks for sharing the info, the pictures are great, could this be attempted with a roadster?

The Ex mother in law has a 2002 Corsa, I will have a look tomorrow. It seems very simple, could the PAS unit go in the engine compartment, or might the environment be too harsh?

Are there issues bringing the speed feedback control over or could that be achieved? The ability to reduce the power assistance as speed increases could be desirable. I don't fancy having to constantly adjust it while driving.

Comment

Working...
                                X