No announcement yet.

Cosworth cabrio latest update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cosworth cabrio latest update (Power Steering)

Hi robert I really need to get down to see you, just been out to measure my roadster it would be too large to fit on. However the roadster steering is light enough especially if it's set up right

Comment

Originally posted by Robert in Cumbria View Post
      Hi Lee, thanks for sharing the info, the pictures are great, could this be attempted with a roadster?

The Ex mother in law has a 2002 Corsa, I will have a look tomorrow. It seems very simple, could the PAS unit go in the engine compartment, or might the environment be too harsh?

Are there issues bringing the speed feedback control over or could that be achieved? The ability to reduce the power assistance as speed increases could be desirable. I don't fancy having to constantly adjust it while driving.
      It should be possible. From everything I've read online about the Corsa PAS, it needs a speed signal, and this seems to come as a series of pulses from the ABS rings on the Corsa. So you should be able to set it up to accept the speed pulses from the bolts on your wheels, or something on the drive line - and then feed that into a box-o-tricks with a cheap microprocessor to output the correct amount of pulses for the desired amount of assistance for a given speed.

Something along the lines of:

Read Pulses -> Convert to MPH -> Look up Assistance for Speed -> Output Corrected Pulses

Lee - Looking good! the only thing that worries me is the clearance with the PAS power pack / ecu and the pedal box. Maybe it's the angle of the photo, but it looks quite tight.

Comment

Hi Jason I suppose you could move the ecu from the bottom to creat more room but tba you don't really need it about 2" between the edge of the ecu and the front of the pedals and your toes are well underneath.

Comment

Will PM you Lee. Yes I take your point about lightness, especially given I am using the A series motor and going to lengths to keep the weight down, particularly at the front.

I mustn't get too far ahead of myself; I don't have the V5c yet. It's applied for... I can't help thinking and planning ahead though. As you can see from my avatar!

Comment

Great news Lee.......so now it's time for you to do a Mike Garner and price it up with a view to making some kits for those of us lesser mortals who don't have the
            knpwledge/ability/tools to do the job.

If the price is right I can always come up to you for a weekend and "help" you fit one to my motor !!!!!!!!!!!

LoL DC

Comment

Hi dc took it is truly great it has turned it into a modern day refined sportscar.

Comment

Re: Cosworth cabrio latest update

Hi Lee

I really like your power steering conversion.
                From your photos, your Cabrio is fitted with the Sierra pedals, so presumably the Sierra pedal box also?

I have Marlin's own pedal box, which projects significantly further forward towards the driver than the Sierra pedal box, and wonder if this will foul the Corsa's power steering motor? - compare the different amount of box in front of the pedal spindle axis.
                The saving grace may be that it is angled up to the top of the bulkhead as it comes forward.

Comment

Hi mike you have had me on my knees again upside down in the foot well, lol.
                  The 3 measurements you are looking for are 6" from the hinge bolt to the front of the motor, motor is 3" and from the floor to the highest point 17"
                  Looking at the pictures of both boxes I am sure it will fit but the only way is to invest in a motor and try it with no column in the cabrio, you could always sell it again.

Comment

Originally posted by CosworthCabrioLee View Post
                    Hi mike you have had me on my knees again upside down in the foot well, lol.
                    The 3 measurements you are looking for are 6" from the hinge bolt to the front of the motor, motor is 3" and from the floor to the highest point 17"
                    Looking at the pictures of both boxes I am sure it will fit but the only way is to invest in a motor and try it with no column in the cabrio, you could always sell it again.
                    Lee

Thanks for the dimensions - these suggest it will fit comfortably with the Marlin pedal box, so its just a leap of faith now.........!

Mike

Comment

Go mike go mike go mike lol took it for a spin down the motorway tonight and even at high speeds its faultless

Comment

Well, I'm going to give it a shot. I grabbed a Corsa C EPS column and a second BMW column last night on eBay, along with the correct plugs for the EPS ECU. Happy days! I've got an excuse to get my hands mucky again.

Comment

You won't regret it Jason picture this steering with 1 hand around corners 10 to 20 mph in the sun while eating a ice cream.......So easy

Comment

You won't regret it Jason picture this steering with 1 hand around corners 10 to 20 mph in the sun while eating a ice cream.......So easy
                            Hey GOO - you might even be able to catch the back end when it steps out next time!!

Good luck with the BMW column conversion - I will be very interested to see how you get on.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                              Hey GOO - you might even be able to catch the back end when it steps out next time!!
                              Why thank you Mike. Your vote of confidence is making me choke up.

Comment

You should change hands now and then, it stops you going blind!.
                                Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Working...
                                X