MK 3 Cortina brake help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MK 3 Cortina brake help

Hi Fred. Just remembered that when I had my Sierra (disc / drum) I once did a brake bleed with my Ezibleed BUT I also had my son give the pedal a few good pushes while the Ezibleed was connected. A great pile of black sludge came through the rear system followed by clean fluid. Afterwards the brakes were dramatically improved. I know that in theory the rears only contribute 34% of the braking effort but I think all the muck was blocking the "deceleration valve" so most of my braking had been on the fronts. All this was after I had re-rubbered the master cylinder which also containd plenty of black sludge. Peter

Comment

Hi All.
      To keep you all informed on my brakes.
      Yippie!!. We have brakes. Taken on board all your comments and plenty of coffie for wife we managed to sort problem.
      It was the nearside rear. The one that has no bleed nipple only one in and one out pipe.
      The handbrake movement had seized in sprung position causing wheel cylinder partial funtion. Now freed and total re flushing the whole system a load of white /cream fluid emerged followed by bubbles from the off side rear. 1 hour later we had crystal clead DOT4 on all nipples and pedle power. A trial road run prduced nose dip with firm foot peddle.
      Thank you all for your good advice. Fred.

Comment

Well Done Fred! And thanks for posting the solution, Im sure other owners will have the same problem in the future and you have solved it. Many thanks!

Comment

Well done Fred too! Another one to add to the technical tips?

Just a comment though. You say that you did a brake rebuild but I guess that was just the shoes / pads? If the master cyl was corroded and from the amount of junk that came out of your rear cylinder I would say the fluid hasn't been changed for years and being hygroscopic has picked up enough water to be quite corrosive. I would honestly get two completely new rear wheel cylinders for peace of mind. Peter.

Comment

always a good feeling to solve a recalcitrant problem like that !

Comment

Thanks Peter.
              Wil bear in mind when money reinvolves again. Fred.

Comment

Working...
              X