Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Half shaft removal

Hi,
    Anybody got any ideas or made up a special tool to get the half shaft out on a Marina diff. The bearing is shot and no amount of hammering
    will get it to come out. Looks like I'l have to make up a heavy duty slide hammer as all the ones I've seen don't look man enough. Also tried
    heating the housing but no good.
    Cheers
    Gareth.

Re: Half shaft removal

Sounds like someone has had the Loctite out.
    I have in the past borrowed a slide hammer from my local independant tyre fitters.
    Not a particularly heavy duty one, but it worked after a good soak with Plusgas.

A Tip:
    If you are planning on removing the hub and changing the bearing, undo the hub nut whilst the car is on the ground with the tyre on. Much easier than trying to stop a halfshaft from turning in a vice.
    Using a 20 Ton hydraulic press to remove the hub and bearing is really the only way, three legged pullers are generally not up to the job.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Hi Gareth,

Disconnect the brakes and undo the four back plate bolts and then put the wheel back on loosely and pull the whole assembly out then with the centre nut slackened on the bench you need a puller or take it to the local garage and get them to press it off. I would recommend using Loctite bearing fit or similar when replacing as its not unknown for the bearing to move on the shaft.
      Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Thanks for the quick responses. I've now got it off. It probably won't please the engineers amongst you, but I got the angle grinder out
        and cut a chunk off the inner race and dropped the balls out one by one which allowed me to pull out the half shaft. No damage done
        to the shaft. Then hammered away at the outer race using loads of WD40. I ground out a small slot on the edge of the outer race so I
        could hammer it around in the housing which loosened it enough to get the bugger out. The housing and shaft look fine.
        Desparate times etc......
        Just got to put it all together now....
        Hope this may help some one else
        Gareth.

Comment

That sounds like 'Marine' engineering. The job has to be done when you are bobbing around mid Adlantic. Niceties take a back seat in favour of a result when the Captain and rest of the crew are pressuring you!
          Nothing wrong with the method, the root of the word Engineer is after all Ingenuity, and its the result that counts.
          MOC member since 05/97
          1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
          The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Comment

And a big hammer!!!

Comment

Theres more than one way to crack an egg! 10 out of 10 for not giving up.

Comment

grinder contains the word "grin" - who first said that?

Comment

Not when you attack your own thigh with a sliting blade. OUCH!

Comment

Just plucking up the courage to do the other side now!

Gareth.

Comment

From previous experience, having resolved a difficult job, you will never come across the same problems again.
                      Did you take pictures of your progress last time, grinder or debris in hand.
                      MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Bit ackward to hold the camera and operate the grinder and smile for the camera at the same time, lol!
                        I'll try and get some posted soon.
                        Gareth.

Comment

i had the loan of a very very big puller from tha marina owners club.

Comment

These sometimes come up on eBay. Made for Triumphs and hood for pulling hubs from halfshafts, could probably be adapted to pull bearings as well.

MOC member since 05/97

Comment

I have one of the above...and with a little extra machining it handles Sprint axles as well.
                              Expensive but makes a good Xmas present..!
                              Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
                              Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Working...
                              X