YKC Hood attachment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YKC Hood attachment

This new group seems like a welcome addition. As a new YKC roadster owner, I'm not sure how many tweeks YKC made to the Roadster but I have a query specifically with the soft top attachment. Perhaps someone can help me. My YKC features a folding hood frame permanently attached to the body using marine fittings, and, presumably marine stainless tube. No problem with that, apart from the fact that, in my case at least, the mountings do not match the makers sprecifications for fitting, but, it works!

The soft top is attached to the screen by hooking a mounting bar/plate whatever, to which the soft top is attached, over the top of the windscreen. It looks very insecure and as though it will blow off at the slightest excuse. I see Morgans with turnbuckles on the windscreen top to secure the top and Cobras with side latches to secure the soft top mounting to the screen but haven't noticed anything on many roadsters. Therefore any comments or suggestions will be warmly welcome, as I don't know whether all roadster are the same or not and I don't want to find myself suddenly driving in the open air, trailing soft top down the road!

Patrick

Re: YKC Sierra Owners' group

Originally posted by PatrickBaggaley
    This new group seems like a welcome addition. As a new YKC roadster owner, I'm not sure how many tweeks YKC made to the Roadster but I have a query specifically with the soft top attachment. Perhaps someone can help me. My YKC features a folding hood frame permanently attached to the body using marine fittings, and, presumably marine stainless tube. No problem with that, apart from the fact that, in my case at least, the mountings do not match the makers sprecifications for fitting, but, it works!

The soft top is attached to the screen by hooking a mounting bar/plate whatever, to which the soft top is attached, over the top of the windscreen. It looks very insecure and as though it will blow off at the slightest excuse. I see Morgans with turnbuckles on the windscreen top to secure the top and Cobras with side latches to secure the soft top mounting to the screen but haven't noticed anything on many roadsters. Therefore any comments or suggestions will be warmly welcome, as I don't know whether all roadster are the same or not and I don't want to find myself suddenly driving in the open air, trailing soft top down the road!

Patrick
    I made a couple of temporary stretcher rods about 12 years ago as per the drawing and they seem to work OK but I wouldn't think they would hold without the side screens in.

Comment

Thanks for that, your idea was to stretch the hood and thus keep the mounting bar in place through the tension on the hood? Did it hold at any reasonable speed?

Comment

Hi Patrick

When I said it was a temporary solution, it has remained a "temporary solution" for the last 13 years. Not wishing to incriminate myself on a public forum, I genuinely have no idea as to what the top speed of my car is but I have never had a problem with them. The problem I have had is that I put 3 poppers down the front of the windscreen surround and I wished I had put 4 (in addition to the one at the bottom) as at speed, the middle popper will often undo itself as the hood inflates.

Comment

You could try just making up a couple of small wooden wedges to fit between the top of the screen and the cantrail. Mine are glued into position but with a folding hood Keiths method is better.
          Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Hi Ben, I did that last night the cantrail was not fitting flush to the bar, inserting two small wedges has tautened the roof and pushed the rail flat against the rollbar, looks much better. There were two small foam wedges attached to the rail, but I can see now how ineffective they were.

Cheers,Patrick

Comment

Working...
            X