X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sportster Handbrake woes

Hi Keith
    Thanks for the additional info.
    On my Sportster there is an solid link rod between the crescent shaped central cable connection and the bottom of the handbrake. This is located above the propshaft within the tunnel. The brake cable ends ( adjuster end), are also located in tubes which are welded to the body/chassis.
    I intend to purchase a cable this weekend and see what is involved in shortening it to suit the current instalation.

Thanks again
    Ian

Comment

Hi Mike,
      Good to here from you.
      Sounds like a good idea. I will contact "Speedy cables" in the morning and see what the "turn-around" time will be.
      I intend to purchase an Sierra cable this weekend.

P.S. Have the new Servo. Fantastic piece of kit. At present investigating options for extending existing brake pipes to allow for the deeper servo body.
      Thanks again for all your research, taking on the mammoth task of organising the kit and the superb quality of the parts supplied.

Ian

Comment

Hello Ian - how are you getting on solving your busted cable. Did Marlin really shorten a cable, surely it would have made more sense to take a stock one then work out where to weld the chassis tubes and then make the short bar too suit. Anyway, if it helps, I undid my package and measured the three sections.

Non- adjustor end 1000mm
        Adjustor end 1200mm
        (These 2 were measured from the end of the rectangular holed eyelet (for want of a better word) that goes over the hook at the brake end to the start of the Bowden cable)

Exposed bowden cable in middle 1030mm

From your measurements I don't think this is the one for you

Comment

Hi Keith,
          Thanks for taking the time to measure your spare cable for me, much appreciated.
          I have brought a standard Sierra cable on Friday night. Intend to shorten it to my required specification tomorrow then either send it to Speedy cables to have a clevis pin re-swaged or re-attach it myself using a marine clevis pin ( Have a local friendly marine rigging supplier).
          Will let you all know how I get on.

Cheers
          Ian

Comment

Working...
          X