Power steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power steering

Has anyone fitted power steering to there Cabrio using the Ford Sierra system ? and if so does it fit and work ok ?

Re: Power steering

Bob

This is the Holy Grail of Cabrio owners - crack this one, and we'll all want to do it!

Mike

Comment

could you not use an electric one like they have in MGFs and Fiat Puntos? iirc someone made a conversion for the MGB using one of these systems and it worked well...hang on...google...it seems there are several conversions about using a pug or corsa epas system - look on the tvr sites and similar.

Comment

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...1742.26120&nmt=

Comment

This looks really interesting................not straight forward, welding two different columns together.......but still very interesting.

Now, I wonder if there is sufficient space under a Marlin dash.......mmmmm?

Don't suppose anyone has done it, or even measured up and found it does not fit, in a Marlin?

Comment

I looked at the corsa system but there is not enough room under the dash and the cost of the kit with the ecu etc is about £200 plus.

Comment

Originally posted by CABRIOBOB View Post
              I looked at the corsa system but there is not enough room under the dash and the cost of the kit with the ecu etc is about £200 plus.
              Hi Bob

Thanks for the advice about space. It is a shame, as it looks like a good idea.
              Power steering for £200, even with a load of effort, sounded good though.

Mike

Comment

If you are having trouble with the being heavy steering you probably need a larger wheel
                Attached Files

Comment

Good God , you'll be wanting air con, traction control and
                  christ knows what else. I thought the object of owning/driving a Marlin was to experience driving as it should be, not behind the wheel of a Eurobox.
                  Or is the reason behind this is that you can drive one handed whilst applying your makeup!!!!! ONLY JOKING

Comment

Its already got air con fitted as standard and its cool on hot days, has yours not got it ?

Comment

Originally posted by CABRIOBOB View Post
                      Its already got air con fitted as standard and its cool on hot days, has yours not got it ?
                      Does it keep your feet cool?!

Comment

I just bought my wife a brand new mini - yes I know!!- and i have to say its absolutely foul to drive. It does everything for you - it revs up when you are about to stop to save you stalling, it even corrects the steering as you are going along and you get absolutely no feel for what the wheels are doing. It has traction control eps abs ew and climate control - and the phone synchs to the radio automatically! She thinks its ace - I have to disagree.

Last year I bought her an mgf for our wedding anniversary - I know!! (2) - and its brilliant but she no longer wants it because its so hard to drive! And it has epas steering, servo brakes and everything. I guess the little red mgf will find its way into the garage now and only come out on the two days a year we have sun, even though it has a hard top. Or maybe ebay???? swap it for something else....hmmm

Comment

Bob
                          Yeah, i've got the air con thing must admit, though i'm told it doesn't work with the hood up. Would that be correct!!!!!!!?

Comment

Since getting the Cabrio and even my last cabrio I have always thought the steering was heavy, not been able to chuck it around like a roadster................So I have installed electric power steering off a Corsa C, and a Control box that simulates the amount of assistance it gives you, so simply you can have it set like a manual Cabrio to give the feel through the steering or turned up by a control on the dashboard to be as light as a feather and anything in between.

I will try to get some pictures on tomorrow on Cabrio update

Comment

Well done Lee, that must be the first Cabrio with PAS. Cant wait to see it.

Terry

Comment

Working...
                              X