Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power steering

Originally posted by CosworthCabrioLee View Post
    Since getting the Cabrio and even my last cabrio I have always thought the steering was heavy, not been able to chuck it around like a roadster................So I have installed electric power steering off a Corsa C, and a Control box that simulates the amount of assistance it gives you, so simply you can have it set like a manual Cabrio to give the feel through the steering or turned up by a control on the dashboard to be as light as a feather and anything in between.

I will try to get some pictures on tomorrow on Cabrio update
    Lee
    Well done - I think there could be several of us interested in seeing the details: was it straight forward, or is it quite involved to achieve?

Mike

Comment

Terry,

Lee,s is the 2nd Cabrio to have P.A.S, unlike Lee I have used the Ford Sierra P.A.S system. I will give more details and pics when I have more time.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by CABRIOBOB; 24-07-12, 09:37 PM. Reason: .

Comment

Originally posted by CABRIOBOB View Post
        Terry,

Lee,s is the 2nd Cabrio to have P.A.S, unlike Lee I have used the Ford Sierra P.A.S system. I will give more details and pics when I have more time.
        Hi Bob

Does that imply you have used hydraulic power steering? I was led to believe a power steering rack could not be fitted to a Cabrio? - so, have you gone and done it?!

Mike
        Last edited by Mike; 24-07-12, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Hi Mike.

See pics above, I am just waiting for the pinion shaft from the engineering as it needed to be shortend and resplined, as the system came of a Sierra cossie.

Comment

Originally posted by CosworthCabrioLee View Post
            Since getting the Cabrio and even my last cabrio I have always thought the steering was heavy, not been able to chuck it around like a roadster................So I have installed electric power steering off a Corsa C, and a Control box that simulates the amount of assistance it gives you, so simply you can have it set like a manual Cabrio to give the feel through the steering or turned up by a control on the dashboard to be as light as a feather and anything in between.

I will try to get some pictures on tomorrow on Cabrio update
            Nice - I bet you could quite easily knock up a little box of electronics that would measure the road speed (count pulses from the diff or something) and then set the level of asistance depending on it... To be honest, you'd probably only what assistance upto about 5-6mph - after that Vikki's steering is fine. It's just low speed manouvering that causes your biceps to buldge...

I feel another Arduino project coming on.

Comment

Originally posted by greatoldone View Post
              Nice - I bet you could quite easily knock up a little box of electronics that would measure the road speed (count pulses from the diff or something) and then set the level of asistance depending on it... To be honest, you'd probably only what assistance upto about 5-6mph - after that Vikki's steering is fine. It's just low speed manouvering that causes your biceps to buldge...

I feel another Arduino project coming on.
              Hey GOO

Perhaps you could prepare an EPAS controller kit for a few of us?

Mike

Comment

Nice one Bob, two systems, wet and dry great pictures, well done to both of you.

This is what the club is all about.

I'll try and nip up this weekend.

Terry

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                  Hey GOO

Perhaps you could prepare an EPAS controller kit for a few of us?

Mike
                  Maybe - I'd need to do some research first, to see if it's feasible. And safe, of course. It's one thing driving your fuel guage and warning lights off an arduino, and another entrusting your abilty to point the car in the right direction to one.
                  Last edited by greatoldone; 26-07-12, 09:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by terryreed1664 View Post
                    Nice one Bob, two systems, wet and dry great pictures, well done to both of you.

This is what the club is all about.

I'll try and nip up this weekend.

Terry
                    Seconded.
                    I agree totally with you Terry, and if I lived closer I'd be up there this weekend too!
                    Well done Lee & Bob.

Mike

Comment

Well the PAS is now fitted and tested and it was a shock to the system after trying to steer the manual system in confind spaces compared to having the reel thing (PAS). I also fitted a 11" steering wheel and the 1st road test was abit scarey as you I didnt have to turn the steering wheel to far and you had almost full lock.

On checking the PAS rack Vs the manual rack the PAS rack is a quick rack = 2-1/2 turns compared to the manual = 4 turns. I refitted my 12" steering wheel and reduced the PAS pump pressure and flow and tyre pressures to18psi went for 2nd test and found it perfect.

Having been to see Lee Car today and testing, it is slightly heavy to steer (compared to mine) as I suspect due to using a manual rack with 4 turns Vs mine with 2 1/2 turns.

The hydraulic PAS is a good project to do but a lot of thinking and time consuming with a good result, and seen what is involved in the electric system what Lee has done of which is much less stressfull and maybe cheaper to convert.

Now for the next project, To get the air-con to work better with the hood up !!!!!
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by CABRIOBOB; 29-07-12, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Today I have removed my Sierra hyd power steering from the Cabrio as it was great on country roads but a bit scarey on the motorway at high speeds with a quick steering rack fitted,(2 1/2 turns lock -lock) and I couldnt get find a PAS rack with 4 turns as the std manual rack.
                        If anyone wants to buy the complete kit to fit a Sierra based kitcar with a Pinto engine contact me.

So I converted the steering to an electric Corsa C system and on first road test I am impressed.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by CABRIOBOB; 02-09-12, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X