Where did it go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where did it go?

I was working on the Roadster today, altering the heater hoses. Having undone the jubilee clip and sliding it to the far end of the hose,
    so as not to loose it, I went around to the other side of the car. As I did I heard a metalic " dink dink " sort of noise. And no jubilee clip.
    Looked everywhere. Would you believeI found it in the clutch. It had fell through the hole by the clutch lever. Had to take off the starter
    motor and get my hand inside. And I'd alrrady started the motor before I'd realised. So, so lucky! Gareth.

Re: Where did it go?

After removing the distributor on a Pinto engine I dropped a nut down the hole. Sump off to retrive it.

Comment

There is a dust seal available that fits around the Clutch Lever and fits the opening in the Marina Bell housing.
      I cannot remember the part number but they are rare, and I have ony seen them available from the USA and Europe So they may have been a special fit for export cars.
      I will do my homework and see if I can track one down.

From memory they were around £15.00 each delivered when I spoke to the suppliers six months ago.

If there is demand, I could do a Group Buy and import some, but its probably only economic to 10 or more.
      Last edited by stevejgreen; 04-07-12, 10:16 AM. Reason: Added cost info
      MOC member since 05/97
      1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
      1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
      Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
      The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

The only picture I can find of it is this one, sadly no lever but you can make out the U shaped slot.

22g1943 clutch gaiter rotated.jpg

As far as I know as the bell housing and clutch arm are Marina specific so I assume these parts will be similarly rare, more so as they do not feature in my Marina parts manuals. The last one I know of was found in the USA via eBay.
        Last edited by stevejgreen; 04-07-12, 03:26 PM. Reason: Rotated image + Info
        MOC member since 05/97
        1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Comment

Good idea Steve. Never realised the size of the hole! Nasty things whizzing around in there! Put me down for one should you locate any. I'll look around as well. Cheers, Gareth

Comment

250745702947 simlair to the lotus élan, I will measure it on the élan and report back

Comment

BL part number is 22g 1943 listed as gaiter clutch operating lever h/duty g/box to fit engines 1.5 ltr diesel 1100cc 10v 1300cc 12v
              1800cc 18v any other part numbers your look for just ask thanks bob

Comment

That gaiter looks very similar to the Mk2 Cortina that I had, even the U-shaped hole in the gaiter. Probably just as rare but maybe worth checking? Peter.

Comment

Ford/Lotus one on Ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LOTUS-CORT...-/250745702947. I think not at that price.

Mate of mine was changing sparkplugs on a Mark one Cortina, he pulled the socket off the extension bar and the little retaining ball popped out an flew somewhere. He didn't know where it had gone til he started the engine later. The ball had flown some five feet and gone down the spark plug hole, it made lots of pretty dents in the top of the piston.

Comment

Originally posted by CosworthCabrioLee View Post
                    250745702947 simlair to the lotus élan, I will measure it on the élan and report back
                    Originally posted by donsayers View Post
                    Ford/Lotus one on Ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LOTUS-CORT...-/250745702947. I think not at that price.

Mate of mine was changing sparkplugs on a Mark one Cortina, he pulled the socket off the extension bar and the little retaining ball popped out an flew somewhere. He didn't know where it had gone til he started the engine later. The ball had flown some five feet and gone down the spark plug hole, it made lots of pretty dents in the top of the piston.
                    Does the Ford part actually fit?

It's almost double the price of the standard BL part if I get demand for 10+
                    MOC member since 05/97

Comment

No idea if it fits, someone mentioned it up there^

Comment

Working...
                      X