Oil Starvation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Starvation

OK Guys, I have now suffered with oil starvation twice on my MGB engine, so now I have ground the crank had the con rods checked and honed checked anything that looked like an oil-way and ordered a new pump.Is there anything else I can do to ensure that I am cursing round with a smile on my face instead of looking lovingly at an inanimate work of art in my barn?

Re: Oil Starvation

An oil pressure gauge if not already fitted can give you fair warning. What is the state of your releif valve it should hold pressure at 70lbf Max
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Unfortunately no gauge at the moment I am working on that, and I hate to show my ignorance but were do I find the relief valve?

Comment

Quite well hidden on the left hand rear side of the engine block. The nut is identifiable as it has a central dome.

Pic from Haynes manual
        Pressure relief valve.jpg

I have shared the BL workshop manual 1.8 engine section at

You have to register (for free) that will give you access to all the files I have shared there including the bulk of the BL manual
        Last edited by stevejgreen; 06-07-12, 03:15 PM.
        MOC member since 05/97
        1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Comment

OMG I cant believe this picture when I first drove the car what I thought was a mere plug came out and I lost all my oil I found another plug in my box of bits and shoved it in the hole guess what it was! so I have been driving with non of the rest of the valve in place!!!!! I don't know what it does exactly but I am sure I urgently need to find the rest of the parts and fit them.
          Thanks Steve.
          (I love this forum)

Comment

another happy member and thanks Steve for the links to your archives of manuals and so much more its a fabulous asset.

Comment

Hi Mark. Without the innards of the relief valve then most of the oil from the oil pump will have been returning to the sump without passing through the important bits. any oil making it to the rotating parts would be at very low pressure and not be able to do any useful lubricating or cooling work. Once rebuilt I suggest that you fit an oil warning light at least until you can fit a gauge. Don't worry, we all make daft mistakes at times. An example is of rebuilding a pinto and missing not fitting the pathetic little hex shaft that powers the oil pump from the distributor auxiliary drive. Easily done mate. Good luck with the project.
              Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Originally posted by mark.westbrookwhite View Post
                OMG I cant believe this picture when I first drove the car what I thought was a mere plug came out and I lost all my oil I found another plug in my box of bits and shoved it in the hole guess what it was! so I have been driving with non of the rest of the valve in place!!!!! I don't know what it does exactly but I am sure I urgently need to find the rest of the parts and fit them.
                Thanks Steve.
                (I love this forum)
                That would be the probem then. Any MGB parts supplier should have the parts off the shelf. Give me a shout if you need part numbers.
                MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Thank guys for all your help I will go into Brown and Gammons tomorrow I live in the next village and see what they can do for me. Plus oil gauge is now a priority!!

Comment

Update : all sorted for just over a tenner including a spare valve so I can grind in a new seat.
                    and I have raked up an old oil gauge which I will tape under the dashboard until I can find one to match my triumph dials

Comment

Pleased its sorted. You should get 70psi from a good pump and new relief valve. This will drop back as the engine heats up.
                      The oil pressure switch is AFAIK somewhere around 7-10 psi.

It is possible to buy an oil pressure cutoff switch intended to kill the ignition, theoretically saving the engine before terminal damage occurs. A little excessive IMHO on a road car.
                      Last edited by stevejgreen; 09-07-12, 04:37 PM.
                      MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Working...
                      X