Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Disc brakes

Hi all,
    I am considering replacing my Marina disc brakes on my roadster. It appears reading old threads that Clio discs seem to be the way to go. What is involved in changing over, what mods are required to the new discs and can I keep my MGF wheels? Do I need to adapt the new calipers to suit. Or can anyone suggest any other discs that would do the job.
    Thanks
    Steve Lilley

Re: New Disc brakes

Ah, My area of speciality as I started the idea. One or two followed my idea, Jez Cox adapted my theory and installed brakes with a larger piston.
    I remeber that both versions were published in Pitstop, but when I am unsure. It might be worth a trawl yhrough the back issues.

In essence, I had some Clio Vented discs bored and redrilled to suit the Marina hub fixings. The bosses on the torque plates were trimmed down and retapped for Metric bolts. Then it was a simple job of assembling it all with custom brake hoses.

If you go over to http://www.fastmarinamagazine.com/in...hp&f=13&t=2907 there is a writeup that starts from my original thoughts through to Jez's installation. You have to register, but its FREE.

I did not do a complete write up on this forum, as at the time, it did not allow editing and posting multiple pictures. I may, if there is enough demand spend a few hours editing what is on Fastmarina and publish in the Marina Roadster Group.

I may be able to make the installation a bit easier after a rummage in my garage.
    PM me for more info.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Hi Steve I would be intrested in seeing a revised write up on your disc brakes and I am sure other people would be to.
      Thanks Angus
      Last edited by angusgrooby; 16-07-12, 07:44 PM.

Comment

A quick rummage through my garage revealed a pair of modified Marina caliper brackets ready for use. I have also located the M12 1.25 Tap needed to modify your own brackets to use the Clio fixing bolts.

Other parts may turn up if I rummage some more. I think I may have enough parts to do a 239mm conversion, but the discs may be very low mileage ones that I used before I went 14" wheels, and I have no new brake hoses to suit the metric Clio Calipers or trimmed backplates.
        Last edited by stevejgreen; 23-07-12, 06:06 AM.
        MOC member since 05/97
        1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
        1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
        Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Working...
        X