Fitted satnav for the berli

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fitted satnav for the berli

I thought this mod may be of interest to other marlin owners as well so...here goes

Mrs rog will be using the berli as her daily drive soon..... She has become used to satnav, mp3, bluetooth and reversing cameras.
    So I went looking for some kit to fit and found the whole lot in one unit.

Trouble is where do you fit it? the berli screen is not exactly expansive so it gets in the way and the sucker fittings leave marks.... I needed to fit it in the dash.

where01.jpg

where02.jpg

I needed something that could be fitted permanently but hidden away so I designed and built this...

madethis01.jpg

Here is a picture of it fitted... honest is is there

fitted001.jpg

OK I will prove it! here are a couple of views of it in the open position.

fitted002.jpg

This one shows that from the drivers side what is on screen cannot bee seen, so when you do not have a navigator beside you it has another trick.....

drivers001.jpg

drivers002.jpg

So there it is, just the camera to fit and retune the radio to the correct frequency and mrs rog will have all her creature comforts!

Linky to movie to show how it works, the click is from the catch that holds the slide back out of the way until needed, note that as I had a camera in my other hand I left the clamp loose for one handed operation.
    I wanted to have a satnav that wasn't stuck to the windscreen, I wanted it to be hidden away when not in use. The movie shows what I came up with... well…
    Last edited by rog8811; 15-07-12, 02:15 PM.

Re: Fitted satnav for the berli

Hi Roger,
    This looks very tidy, I like the idea.
    Regards
    Danny.

Comment

Hi Roger,
      That´s a fantastic bit of engineering - I want one!!!
      I have to carry my satnav and windscreen mount etc. in a bag and would really benefit from a mount like yours. Do you have any paterns that you would be prepared to share with me?
      Regards
      James

Comment

Hi James, I have a few drawings and photo's that I can post that might help but I tend to do seat of the pants engineering.....which means I rarely do complete drawings...

I will need to make them smaller so that I can upload to the forum, I will endevour to do so soon.

Regards Roger

Comment

Hi Roger,
          I am grateful for any drawings that will help me. Look forward to getting whatever you can provide.
          Thanks
          James

Comment

OK, this is more difficult to explain than I thought it would be, I have reduced the sizes of a number of pictures which I hope will give enough info to build your own version.

There are three laminate pieces (cut from a spare laminate floor plank)

assembly.jpg

They are:-
            The mounting plate which is held at the back by screws through holes drilled in the bracket in the baulkhead and at the front with woodscrews up into the underside of the dash.
            The slide out plate which is attached to the top of the 2 slides and holds the satnav mount.
            The bottom plate which is attached to the underside of the 2 slides and, using three wooden spacing blocks, attaches to the mounting plate

picture below shows the slides, slide out plate and the bottom plate....oh, and the catch....

slides and catch01.jpg

The next picture gives an idea of the size and shape of the slide out plate.

Slide plate01.jpg

I will load some more later, I have to cook dinner for mrs rog.... well she did let me take the berli to work today

in woods01.jpg

Comment

While I am waiting for a potential buyer for my old Landie to arrive I thought I would update with a bit more info.
              You will notice that everything is offset to one side, this is so that the footwell light is not covered with the sat nav out or in.

Photo shows at bottom left the wireless reciever for the reversing camera and at top right the footwell lamp mentioned above.

underview01.jpg

You can also see the front attachment to the underside of the dash panel, the rather unclear picture that follows shows the 4.5mm holes I drilled in the footwell to take the trapped rear support screws.

underview02.jpg

The brass mount for the sat nav was evolving as I went along, it involved cutting/bending/soft soldering/silver soldering and a bit of polishing so my advice is to make it up as you go along.......

back bracket and shaft01.jpg

I hope that is enough info, if you need any clarification just ask.

Regards Rog
              Last edited by rog8811; 26-07-12, 10:31 AM. Reason: layout

Comment

Alright your on both forums aswell. I down as blackfiesta123 on the landy forum. So are you going from land rover to marlin?

Comment

Yup, my landy had to go to fund the Marlin for Mrs rog as she refused point blank to use the landy as her daily drive... can't think what her problem was...... having said that the Berli makes me smile as much the land rover did

Comment

Originally posted by rog8811 View Post
                    Yup, my landy had to go to fund the Marlin for Mrs rog as she refused point blank to use the landy as her daily drive... can't think what her problem was...... having said that the Berli makes me smile as much the land rover did
                    I love my land rover but only like the marlin. Dont get me wrong the marlin gets more attention from me then the landy cause i compete in the marlin. Happy motoring ex land rover owner lol

Comment

Hi Roger,
                      Sorry for not replying earlier but hiking in Austria left me without Internet. Thank you for the great pictures and information. I am sure that I will be able to make myself a similar mount (perhaps not as professionally done as yours).
                      Happy Berlinettering!
                      James

Comment

Working...
                      X