Front suspension parts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front suspension parts.

Hi guys iv damaged the front suspension on my marlin.

Its a marina 1.8 T C based.

1986 year.

Going by the haynes manual iv damaged atleast the swivel pin and stub axle right handside.

Is ther any where i can i buy new parts or do i need them repaired?

Then steering arm went through the tyre but got a new one in the shed. Also the wing is smashed but i might be able to get one of them from a friend.

Thanks steven.

Re: Front suspension parts.

Hi Steven, Im sure someone out there will help you out ont this pretty soon though Im guessing marina parts will have to be replaced with secondhand bits.

Comment

Yeah its just finding somewhere or someone thats wants to sell me 1.

If anybody has got a strut lying around i would be intrested as im abit stuck with it.

Comment

I think iv got one.
        Last edited by gary.price; 17-07-12, 09:16 AM.

Comment

I think im all sorted just got to change the hub cause its different.

Comment

The hub itself is interchangeable on the stub axle. Don't throw it out (whichever it is) it might help someone else out.
            MOC member since 05/97
            1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
            1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
            Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
            The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Dont worry its safe and sound on the twisted one. i wouldnt chuck something like that out.
              The car drives horrible now tho Everything is nice and tight i checked tyre pressures all fine
              Im just hoping its not gonna be the rack. I did notice on the other side of the car the shock
              bush has started to get play in. it was fine last time i checked it. I dont neglect the car cause
              i use it hard in motorsport. Could ther be anything else? it feels like a tyre a nearly flat. You
              dont notice it at low speeds.

Thanks

Comment

All that force to bend a Swivel Pin must have gone somewhere and the steering rack would have taken a bit of that, as would the chassis itself.
                It's going to be a process of eleimination, checking the front alignment must be a first step if everything else looks OK.
                Changing the rack is not a quick job on a Roadster, it's one of the first things to be fitted to the chassis and everything else added around it.
                MOC member since 05/97
                1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

If you managed to brake the o/s steering arm then the force must have gone back through the rack and your hands would only absorb so much. Its possible you have bent the N/S steering arm or as in the case of my Vitesse years ago you may have bent the inner rack, its week point being the teeth of the rack outside the pinion that are unsupported. The other point to check would be the torsion bar and its mounting.
                  Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

I think im gonna get the tracking done first. but i suspect it will be a new rack cause it turns in tighter going left and dosent turn as much going right. I cant believe bits are damged tho at such a low speed just clipping a fence. Atleast it happened off road as i might of been losing my license.

Comment

Iv done the tracking and fixed a bush and im back with the marlin again again. need to mot it on the 1st. Thanks for all you help.

Comment

I have twisted more than my fair share of Marina uprights, never bent a steering arm though, given the scarcity of uprights now, can they safely be untwisted, perhaps with a little heat?

Comment

As ther shaped abit anyway i never tried as i think it would be near impossible for me to do it DIY style. Steve Green found me one on ebay which is doing the job.

The marlin passed its mot. But its gonna need a new steering rack, nothing to do with the bump just worn out balljoints.

Comment

Working...
                          X