Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Progress to date

Robert
    I for one would like to follow your build through to the end including the Trials prep If you wish to continue
    I really enjoy your regular updates and I used to trial a Triumph based Roadster so I have a certain interest!!
    Regards
    Bryan
    Stapley Bryan

Comment

Originally posted by Robert in Cumbria View Post
      A setback, I have adjusted the carb and ignition, the engine was running almost perfectly. I switched off the ignition and heard this HISSSSSSING noise. Stethoscope narrowed it to the brake master cylinder flange, removing the master cylinder reveals the seal is damaged.

I carefully re-assembled it and the hiss has gone (for now) but I need a Servo kit. I have looked on the Earl Part website, they don't seem to list servo kits, only master cyl kits. The seal is marked Lockheed, as far as I know it's from a 1800 Marina.

[ATTACH]3030[/ATTACH]

I would like to get a kit from Rimmers, they have been very good with the parts I have needed to date, what would this be the same as? One of the Triumphs or perhaps Land Rover?
      Robert
      Your servo looks very much like a Metro servo.
      Is it 7" in diameter - has 4 stud fixing to the fire wall on 90 mm centres, and has two studs for the master cylinder ?
      There will be several owners who have a spare one after upgrading recently to a dual servo. If it is the same I am sure we can find a member looking to sell an almost new one at a very reasonable price?
      Also, they appear on Ebay at around £20 each New Old stock.
      If it is the same, then its not worth the risk of trying to repair a safety critical item.

This was my Metro servo in my Cabrio before upgrading to the Dual 7" servo - note we have to use an adaptor plate to use it with a Sierra master cylinder:

Mike
      Last edited by Mike; 10-01-13, 10:03 PM.

Comment

robert
        Sorry but have no experience of suspension geometry design. The figures quoted are based on 10 'active' coils in each case and are in lbsft/in. If we assume that there are only 8 coils active ie the 'end coils' don't actually compress then the figures change to 180 for the yellow, which is closer to the 200 you quote and 150 for the blue. Figure are based on the modulus of carbon steel and are approx . I am just following your incredible progress with interest!

Comment

Robert
          I would have thought that a 'o' ring seal of the correct diameter /cross section will do the job without having to purchase a sevo kit if you can find one. Try local bearing /seals supplier, thats what i usually do.

Comment

OK Mike, I think we are onto something.

7" diameter, much the same shape, the four studs seem to be on 90mm square centres, the master cylinder studs are about 60mm ctrs horisontal, by eye on a loosely held tape measure.

Seems to be the same.

Does anybody here have one please?

I'm not an eBay fan anymore. My username is "irealyhatepcsalot" The same could be said of eBay. I joined in 2001 and really enjoyed the experience but eBay makes big brother look easy going. I made several good friends through the early days eBay, now it's almost impossible to make contact except via their closed messaging system, and even if you did most of the sellers are only there to make money, as for selling, eBay take such a chunk of the price it's hardy worth it. I haven't bought or sold on eBay since 2009.

rant/

BTW the Girling Servo I have from TOA, also has the same 90mm Square, four bolt fixing.

Comment

Alan, the seal is a complex one, mostly soft rubber, I will post a pic when I get the opportunity, I don't think a normal shaft seal would work, although I will have another look with that in mind.

I accept it's a safety/braking part but failure of the seal wold not cause loss of brakes, only the servo assistance. I have retained the full Marina pedal arm, rather than shortening it, so I have a good mechanical advantage plus the car is much lighter, so I think I would be OK with no servo if that had to be, possibly with a slightly smaller master cylinder bore. In fact that could be a backup option?

Checked the Rimmer site, typically their reconditioned servo's are about £300??? I thought they might be £150 but not £300.

Originally posted by dogoncrazy View Post
              Robert
              I would have thought that a 'o' ring seal of the correct diameter /cross section will do the job without having to purchase a sevo kit if you can find one. Try local bearing /seals supplier, thats what i usually do.

Comment

Hi Robert,
                the metro servo vacuum needs to be sealed at the M/C and I see yours looks a bit rusty. It could just be leaking vacuum at that non-sealed flange?
                But, if you want a second hand Metro Servo, I have one that you can have for the cost of the postage.

It's the one in the picture shown here and has been used in my Sportster for about 3 years.

Brake Servo, etc by marlinpeter, on Flickr

Send me a pm with your address, etc if you want it,

...peter

Comment

Hi Robert,
                  bad news, I'm afraid, my metro servo has studs for the master cylinder at 70mm centres.
                  It's also mounted at about 30 degrees to the horizontal plane of the fixing studs.

So it's back to someone else guessing what it might be?? Maybe Austin mini as the body is very similar to the metro servo?

....peter

Comment

Its definately not one from a Marina.

Adrian

Comment

Robert, it looks identical to mine and thats a Marina 1300. Cheers Chris

Comment

Apart from very early TC's all Marina and Ital servos are the same.
                        MOC member since 05/97
                        1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                        1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                        Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Hi Adrian, Do you mean mine is not from a Marina?

Originally posted by listerjp2 View Post
                          Its definately not one from a Marina.

Adrian

Comment

Thanks Peter, Not to worry, something will turn up!

Originally posted by Peterx View Post
                            Hi Robert,
                            bad news, I'm afraid, my metro servo has studs for the master cylinder at 70mm centres.
                            It's also mounted at about 30 degrees to the horizontal plane of the fixing studs.

So it's back to someone else guessing what it might be?? Maybe Austin mini as the body is very similar to the metro servo?

....peter

Comment

OK Steve, is mine what you would regard as a Marina servo?

The mounting studs are about 90mm centres vertical/horizontal and the master cylinder studs are about 59mm Centres, horizontal. it's a Lockheed servo.

The original servo is a Girling with the master cylinder studs vertically aligned at about 70mm centres but both my original servo and master cylinder are both stuffed.

If it isn't Marina, can you take an educated guess what it might be please?

Comment

Originally posted by Robert in Cumbria View Post
                                Hi Adrian, Do you mean mine is not from a Marina?
                                Hiya Robert

I meant it doesn't look like either of my Servo's and both my cars are from a Marina 1974/75

Adrian

Comment

Working...
                                X