Progress to date

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Progress to date

Hi Robert, following your build with great interest......... I have a part built roadster from early eighties which i want to get on with but i'm put off by IVA. Do you think, if I speak to DVLA they might let me off IVA on the basis of age? Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Comment

I dont think this is posible. the car will be effectively put on the road after IVA came out so it will be essential to pass it to get it on the road. The IVA test shouldnt pose too many worries as cars do get through - its just the cost and mither of the thing!
      ON the other hand you will at least know your car has been built properly and is up to spec against current regulations.
      There is an IVA manual on here if you want help. There are a couple of us still currently building cars which will have to be IVAd and so you wont have difficulty getting advice

Comment

a.haine - PM sent

Comment

Cameron
          Thanks for the comments, really didn't want to go IVA, looks like too many issues eg. Auto spec and stamped screen, dual pipe brakes, seat rake, all edges rounded etc.
          Don't want to clutter this build thread, so might start a new thread of my own......if I get good feedback it might inspire me!

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by a.haine View Post
            Hi Robert, following your build with great interest......... I have a part built roadster from early eighties which i want to get on with but i'm put off by IVA. Do you think, if I speak to DVLA they might let me off IVA on the basis of age? Any guidance would be much appreciated.
            Hi, My Marlin was registered and used for 6 years until it failed it's test in 1988. If the PO hadn't lost the V5 I would have been able to put it straight on the road, but not only had he lost the V5, all the MOT's, the original V1 log book and any other record of the VIN, he had also lost the VIN plate from the chassis too. So I had to present the car to DVLA in order for them to issue a replacement registration document V5c document. So there was no requirement for me to submit the car for an IVA, it's a 1982 Marlin Roadster with an entry in the DVLA registration database.

I share your apprehension regarding the IVA test. Had DVLA not offered me an Age related plate I would have walked away from the project. I am sure there are some people who could handle (perhaps even enjoy the challenge of) the red tape associated with the IVA and can afford the cost of complying with the complex requirements but while I am well able to handle the demands and challenges of normal construction, I am not prepared to jump through the hoops needed to comply with the IVA for an old car like the roadster.

# 10,310
            Last edited by Robert in Cumbria; 18-02-13, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Robert
              Many thanks for the reply.
              I'm not sure about going the IVA route, just think there are too many hurdles to make it enjoyable. Might have to complete it for track only.
              A night with red and green highlighters and 400 pages of IVA manual could change my mind!
              Best of luck with your project, i'll follow with interest ( and perhaps a degree of envy)
              Alan.

Comment

Hi Alan, While I was preparing the car for the MOT and it's return to the road, I tried to implement as many principles of the IVA manual as I could, bearing in mind practicality. For example I ground a radius on the windscreen frame to remove the potentially lethal sharp edge which is standard on roadsters. That completely wore away a 9" grinder disk and three flap wheels but I think it was worth the effort, it's far better than the sharp edges of the original.

Incidentally the way round the windscreen marking is not to fit the glass before the test, that way you don't need wipers or washers or even a de-mister either. That can't be applied to everything though. My build has been minimalist, if it wasn't essential it wasn't fitted.

Comment

I am in limbo at the moment. In case anyone is wondering, I submitted the documentation for the re-registration of the Marlin last Monday the 18th, I had been hoping to return home with a tax disk but no such luck. The person who dealt with the application refused to give me any idea when I might expect the tax disk, V5c or the return of my documents.

I will have to be patient. I don't do patient very well! It only took them 8 weeks to make a decision on the V5 application so perhaps they might better that? I MIGHT have it for Stoneleigh?

# 10,580
                  Last edited by Robert in Cumbria; 23-02-13, 07:36 AM.

Comment

Hi Robert, if its' any consolation it took about 10 weeks in all to get Ruby off the Q plate and onto an age related plate, but I just left them to get on with it and my patience rewarded me with redg related to the donor car and not as I had expected one related to build date, so it paid off for me mate. Cheers Chris.

Comment

No consolation at all Chris! LOL

Having spent all this energy restoring it, I want to use it! At least while I was waiting the initial 8 weeks I had things to do. I suppose I could start prepping it for trials but I wanted to drive it as it is before refining the spec.

Perhaps the tax disk will turn up in this afternoons post?

If not I may pull the gearbox and start on that... Fit the lower first gear, wide ratio gear set.

Comment

Just put a stcker on the screen "TAX IN POST"

Comment

Nice one Bob! The insurance co has used CH45SIS in place of a reg number until I am issued with a new age related number.

Comment

Robert

Any news?

Mike
                            Originally posted by Robert in Cumbria View Post
                            I am in limbo at the moment. In case anyone is wondering, I submitted the documentation for the re-registration of the Marlin last Monday the 18th, I had been hoping to return home with a tax disk but no such luck. The person who dealt with the application refused to give me any idea when I might expect the tax disk, V5c or the return of my documents.

I will have to be patient. I don't do patient very well! It only took them 8 weeks to make a decision on the V5 application so perhaps they might better that? I MIGHT have it for Stoneleigh?

# 10,580

Comment

Working...
                            X