This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• keep and share

Just a quick note to all who may have trouble with the keep and share web site that Steve is using to put various documents on. Just follow the instuctions
    and pass on your user name to Steve and he can add that name so you can access the site. The info posted there is very useful. It really
    is that easy. Thanks Steve!
    Gareth.

Re: keep and share

Not a problem Gareth, only too pleased if my ramblings and archive docs can be of use, that's what they are there for.

If I could manage an area on this forum, that allows storage of pdf files, then they would all find a place to live on here.
    Sadly that is not about to happen in the forseeable future.

Meanwhile the process that Gareth has mastered, using www.keepandshare.com is the way things will remain.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Steve I would like to add my thanks as well very useful.

Comment

Keep and Share is one of several really great repositories for stuff that you wouldnt want clogging up your website - a really good idea - a bit like flikr but for documents. And yes, I agree, Steve is doing stirling work in getting his archive uploaded - since much of his stuff is of interest to others too he is right not to use this forum for all his materials and its very kind of him to share it with us. Access to the huge raft of BL service manuals, brochures, pricelists, advertising stuff etc is free, you can just sign up - you dont get junk mail from it and its quite interesting even if its not your model of car the documents pertain to.

Comment

I have found Steve's stockpile of documents in Keep & Share very handy. Being new to some of this 'old' stuff it's hard to find some of the info in a handy form for example the original Build Manuals and the the original Brochures from the Mk I and Mk II roadsters.

There is a lot of useful stuff there, I tend to look there if I need Marlin info which I can't find here.

Comment

Hi Robert,
            There is a huge wealth of information available within the MOC which we have been sharing for over 20 years, there is technical tips which has been put together from 1980 through all the years of car production. All valuable hands on reports by builders. Modifications, engine gearbox options, faults, including roadster bulkhead problem.
            There are always active members attending Shows and rallys throughout the year always willing to talk/ demonstrate , show first hand what they have carried out on their cars.
            All good stuff all there to share.
            Danny.

Comment

Thanks Danny, I am sure there is a ton of stuff here, the problem is finding it. This is the age old problem of collation. Do searches in the current forum go right back?

I started reading the Roadster posts from the oldest to newest, I have read about 20 pages of threads so far but they 'only' go beck to 2004, which is long after the Roadster was current, say 1981 to 1990?

I have found some very interesting posts, but I suspect the real info which was found and reported in the early days must be in pitstop or perhaps archives of earlier forums. Some of this information is priceless but it's sometimes hard to find.

With the membership so spread out (except it seems in the west country!) meeting and discussing means long trips which are expensive now with the price of fuel. The internet gives us a way of communicating and discovering which is relatively cheap and flexible, I find searching very hard because thread titles rarely reflect the true content of threads, "Help, I can't understand this" is a common [kind of] thread title but conveys little to the searcher.

Perhaps I should start reading the Pitstop PDF archive, which I haven't looked at yet. OK, I have downloaded Pitstop #1, Quite a bit of reading to do to get up to date.

Comment

Yes all the posts from the old forum were brought across (and should be searchable) but I think there wasnt anything there before 2004, Steve's keep and share is a great resource as he has collected many docs over the years and its very useful but I dont think you can beat a proper chat with someone. If you give the rep for your model a phone call they will be able to chat to you about all sorts of stuff that sometimes doesnt even exist electronically or even on paper.
                I agree with the problem of naming threads and this forum should be better to use than the old one as it searches content as well as title. We also have the facility (which no one uses!) to tag posts which helps the search engines categorise threads to make more accurate searches.
                I think I have a CD of most of the pitstops somewhere from when I digitised them to put up on here. I guess it might make a useful addition to the purchasable tech tip CDs and earn a few pence for teh MOC coffers.

Comment

Hi Robert like Cameron says speak to the roadster rep Adrian bull Or Bob jackson ex rep for knowledge......
                  P.s think the home boys are coming over this weekend if your coming to play ?

Comment

just to clarify...the TAG is only available on the first post in a thread, so if you start a new discussion you can tag it so that all the posts in the thread get tagged too. simples

Comment

It's been a year since I first started my archive on Keepandshare. After a slow start, to date there have been a total of 1372 downloads, currenly averaging at 160 a month. Clearly there is a demand for information.

MOC member since 05/97
                      1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                      The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Comment

Another year has passed with plenty of new registrations and 2038 document downloads in the last year alone.

I continue to be curious that over 140 visits have been made to http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/6028...-docx-13k?da=y that do not develop any further. The content of this page is as follows.

MarlinDocumentation Header Page

Principally Marlin Roadster Marinabased cars but also data on other models.
                        This page has been viewed many timesby people, obviously with an interest in Marlins.
                        It seems thatabout half go on to register with keepandshare, and I cant help butwonder why the others don't?
                        The vast majority who have viewed myarchive collection have appreciated my efforts.

Perhaps those who do not register orwho have any difficulty or comments, would like to contact me at theemail address below.
                        As part of the registration process,Keepandshare do send a confirmation email, this has been known toarrive in peoples 'spam' folder. This does not mean that keepandsharegenerate spam emails, it's just your mail settings.
                        Users need to register withKeepandshare and then become my friend by emailing me at[email protected]with your username. Your password remains confidential.
                        I can then give you access to many ofthe documents I have shared.
                        Anyfolders you do not have permission to read will be shown as EMPTY

The only place that this page is referenced is on the Marlin Owners Club forum, though it might appear on very specific google searches, so I can be pretty confident that the vast majority of the readers of the 'Marlin Documentation Header Page' are also readers of the Marlin Owners Club forum.
                        I am curious as to why people have opened the 'hallway' door to information yet not gone any further.

There is an interesting parallel with the gradual demise of Public Libraries. You can show people where the libraries are, but you cannot make them go in, let alone take a book out.

The registration process is remarkably similar to that for the MOC forum, the very few problems have been related to 'mailbox settings' and not the process itself.

Perhaps someone who has not gone on to register with keepandshare can explain their reasons for not taking the next step.

1935:85
                        Last edited by stevejgreen; 09-01-14, 01:25 PM.
                        MOC member since 05/97

Comment

To provide feedback Steve, I have three comments on you promoting your keepandshare site via the MOC.

To access your keepandshare files takes the reader away from the Marlin Forum.
                          As the MOC is working hard to attract visitors onto the MOC Forum, having a link which then takes the reader away is self defeating.

You then make life more difficult for the impulse visitor, by requiring them to go through a registry procedure. Casual visitors are, by nature, fickle and easily put off by such a requirement. Why make it more difficult, and why must the visitor have to register for something that you purport is freely available?

As an advocate of the MOC, my frustration is that you do not simply place information directly on to the MOC site: thus making it easily found, and truly shared. The insistence that the reader has to go to your keepandshare file, and then register, leaves me feeling that you use the MOC site for your own benefit/agenda.

If you are as passionate about sharing information as you profess, why not simply do as all other MOC members do : post your information here on the MOC Forum?

Maybe then you might see the higher take up that you seem to covet?

Comment

I have replied via email
                            MOC member since 05/97

Comment

I rest my case for another year.
                              MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Working...
                              X