Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: keep and share

1. #11 Re: keep and share 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member stevejgreen's Avatar
    It's been a year since I first started my archive on Keepandshare. After a slow start, to date there have been a total of 1372 downloads, currenly averaging at 160 a month. Clearly there is a demand for information.

http://www.jiversteve.keepandshare.com
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

2. #12 Re: keep and share 
    Another year has passed with plenty of new registrations and 2038 document downloads in the last year alone.

I continue to be curious that over 140 visits have been made to http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/6028...-docx-13k?da=y that do not develop any further. The content of this page is as follows.

MarlinDocumentation Header Page

Principally Marlin Roadster Marinabased cars but also data on other models.
    This page has been viewed many timesby people, obviously with an interest in Marlins.
    It seems thatabout half go on to register with keepandshare, and I cant help butwonder why the others don't?
    The vast majority who have viewed myarchive collection have appreciated my efforts.

Perhaps those who do not register orwho have any difficulty or comments, would like to contact me at theemail address below.
    As part of the registration process,Keepandshare do send a confirmation email, this has been known toarrive in peoples 'spam' folder. This does not mean that keepandsharegenerate spam emails, it's just your mail settings.
    Users need to register withKeepandshare and then become my friend by emailing me atstevejgreen@btopenworld.comwith your username. Your password remains confidential.
    I can then give you access to many ofthe documents I have shared.
    Anyfolders you do not have permission to read will be shown as EMPTY

The only place that this page is referenced is on the Marlin Owners Club forum, though it might appear on very specific google searches, so I can be pretty confident that the vast majority of the readers of the 'Marlin Documentation Header Page' are also readers of the Marlin Owners Club forum.
    I am curious as to why people have opened the 'hallway' door to information yet not gone any further.

There is an interesting parallel with the gradual demise of Public Libraries. You can show people where the libraries are, but you cannot make them go in, let alone take a book out.

The registration process is remarkably similar to that for the MOC forum, the very few problems have been related to 'mailbox settings' and not the process itself.

Perhaps someone who has not gone on to register with keepandshare can explain their reasons for not taking the next step.

1935:85
    Last edited by stevejgreen; 09-01-2014 at 01:25 PM.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

3. #13 Re: keep and share 
    To provide feedback Steve, I have three comments on you promoting your keepandshare site via the MOC.

To access your keepandshare files takes the reader away from the Marlin Forum.
    As the MOC is working hard to attract visitors onto the MOC Forum, having a link which then takes the reader away is self defeating.

You then make life more difficult for the impulse visitor, by requiring them to go through a registry procedure. Casual visitors are, by nature, fickle and easily put off by such a requirement. Why make it more difficult, and why must the visitor have to register for something that you purport is freely available?

As an advocate of the MOC, my frustration is that you do not simply place information directly on to the MOC site: thus making it easily found, and truly shared. The insistence that the reader has to go to your keepandshare file, and then register, leaves me feeling that you use the MOC site for your own benefit/agenda.

If you are as passionate about sharing information as you profess, why not simply do as all other MOC members do : post your information here on the MOC Forum?

Maybe then you might see the higher take up that you seem to covet?

4. #14 Re: keep and share 
    I have replied via email
    MOC member since 05/97

5. #15 Re: keep and share 
    MOC member since 05/97

6. #16 Re: keep and share 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member b_caswell's Avatar
    Mike I have PM you!
    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

7. #17 Re: keep and share 
    frequent forum contributor
    Steve, the idea of having an archive of stuff on this site has never been a bad one, in fact it could be argued that it is essential for the longevity of the club so that members and potential members can see that there is full documentary support for the marque. In the link you posted you will see I was in agreement but the forum would need someone other than me (or any of the committee members) to administer the information as I guess it could be quite time consuming; I wonder how long it has taken you to amass the invaluable resource that you have on keep and share? Was it an easy task? Would you think that the marlin parts might be worth putting on here too (to avoid a second registration process)? The forum is for members and getting more members involved in it is imperative.

8. #18 Re: keep and share 
    forum contributor
    Hey Steve

Thanks for these file you have on Keep and Share they have been a great help saved me days of searching the web for the information.

9. #19 Re: keep and share 
    frequent forum contributor
    Dont forget we have quite an archive on the forum open to all paid up members. If anyone wants anything specific putting on there too I'm sure we can do our best. We are indebted to people who spend long periods of time scanning and saving docs.

10. #20 Re: keep and share 
    It appears that some people are under the impression that to view my documents on keepandshare, that you have to pay.
    This is not the case.
    There is a requirement to register with keepandshare, currently (the date on this post) the registration page is here
    Keepandshare will send you a confirmation email, these have been known to arrive in peoples spam boxes, follow those instructions. Keepandshare do not generate spam emails.
    There is one last thing. In order for me to understand where your interests lie, and to contact you automatically if I make an edit or share a new document that may be of interest, I require that you become my friend, this also circumnavigates some copyright issues. This feature also limits the amount of unnecessary spam content that I might receive.
    To do this I need to know either the username or email address that you used to register with keepandshare. Once I have this information I usually respond within 24 hrs.
    MOC member since 05/97