What do I call it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do I call it?

I have recently got a Marlin Roadster. The V5 is missing, lost by the PO, it is listed on the DVLA records, last used November 1988. I can't find the Chassis number on the car, so DVLA tell me the car has to be inspected. DVLA tell me they may issue a new chassis number if they consider the car to be genuine.

Or, might they tell me the correct Chassis number?

As part of the V62 form applying for a replacement V5c they ask for Make and Model. The make is according to the DVLA records is Austin, what model do you suggest I state? As I see it I can leave the model space blank, call it a Marlin, or a Roadster, or a Marlin Roadster.

Or, does anybody have a better suggestion?

Re: What do I call it?

Have you got any paperwork at all for the car?
    The chassis number should be on an old MOT
    When I had problems with DVLA I found that face to face contact was much better than post/phone or email.
    Presumably you have checked the usual places for chassis number, NS chassis leg behind the front wheel and NS top of bulkhead/scuttle?
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Hi Steve,

No unfortunately I don't have any paperwork at all, no MOT's or anything. I have checked all the usual places for the number. The n/s chassis leg just behind the front bumper is pretty heavily rust pitted, if the number had been stamped into the chassis* it would have been obliterated by the rust.

There is no trace of the number on the bulkhead.

Up to now DVLA have been very helpful. I plan to make the V62 application early next week.

*I do know the number is usually stamped on a tag and then welded to the chassis but there is no trace of a tag either.

Comment

Hi Robert,

I have PM you a message before reading this so ignore chassis number bit. But if you have any details of the person that built the car I may be able to trace the factory copy of the invoice and find the chassis number from that PM me. But its possible that they have used the old chassis/Vin number from the donor.

You could leave the model type blank on the V62 and see what come back on the new V5c If you put down something different to what they have it may cause a problem.
        Last edited by b_caswell; 20-07-12, 09:36 PM.
        Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Originally posted by b.caswell View Post
          Hi Robert,

I have PM you a message before reading this so ignore chassis number bit. But if you have any details of the person that built the car I may be able to trace the factory copy of the invoice and find the chassis number from that PM me. But its possible that they have used the old chassis/Vin number from the donor.
          Have replied to your PM, explaining the situation.

Originally posted by b.caswell View Post
          You could leave the model type blank on the V62 and see what come back on the new V5c If you put down something different to what they have it may cause a problem.
          That was what I was wondering, I haven't done this before, last time I did a registration change was back in 78. That was simple a Mini body change. Which they inspected and approved.

I can see if I tell them what I think it is, and I am wrong it could cause problems. Better perhaps to leave it blank. It's not an obligatory field. I may ask DVLA what they suggest, if the official is helpful.

I am also dithering what taxation class to state, PLG, Petrol car or Historic. When I first spoke to DVLA they said the date of manufacture (1956) makes it eligible for historic class. OTOH it might be better to put petrol car? Again I may ask their guidance.

Comment

Working...
          X