Avo coil over shocks and cracking noises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avo coil over shocks and cracking noises

Hi Guys, I have replaced the tie bar/lower arm fat rubber bushes which were perished and hollowed out inside, the creaking noise persisted. Internet searches reveal AVO coilover seals can dry out if rarely used and can make a cracking sound. Nigel at AVO confirms they can be refurbished, but they only want the damper part, I have to strip the spring off. Has anyone done this at all? Nigel thinks that unwinding the spring seat down the thread may be enough to strip the unit down safely. Anyone tried this without using spring compressors?

Re: Avo coil over shocks and cracking noises

Hi Patrick, Not sure exactly what an AVO suspension unit is but if they have an adjustable external nut running over an aluminium shocker, I would be very cautious about unwinding under load. Aluminium picks up so easily. If you can compress the unit and wire it with strong wire or many times with weaker wire, then release the adjuster I think that might be a better path than trying to release it all the way on the adjuster.

Also use a good lubricant on the threads.

OK, just taken a look at their site - http://www.avouk.com/index.htm

Comment

I would always use spring compressors, it takes the load off the threads and saves any nasty surprises as things fly randomly around the garage.
      Once you have done one, you can evaluate the risk on the other.

Comment

Never take springs off without compressors.

Have a look at this guy (50 seconds into video) and you'll see why!!
        ....................but he has got a set of lovely wheels though!!

Last edited by Mike; 25-07-12, 06:04 PM.

Comment

I was close to that once thats why I have spring compressors.

But he has got some nice wheels and the finished project looks interesting.

Nice find Mike.

Comment

If he does the same when removing the other spring, his face would look even !!!! Nice wheels..........

Comment

A Lucky man! He obviously didnt read my last Talking Triumph !!
              Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Since I don't want to be known as "fatlips" in future, I will indeed proceed with caution. The premise was that the maximum uncompressed spring length was shorter than the distance between the adjusting collar at the bottom,when fully wound down, and the top collar/collet on the damper. In which case it may be safely removed, if not it needs compressing. Avo staff couldn't remember exactly what YKC had them make up, as it was specific for YKC Sierra kits alone. thanks for all your comments. I will report later when the units are off the car.

Comment

Hi Guys, just an update on the AVO front coilovers supplied on the YKC Sierra based roadsters. Dry weather this morning so I jacked up the car, released the 4 mounting bolts on the top plate lowered the hub gently on a jack and unwound the front spring seating. The uncompressed spring is indeed shorter than the distance between the top collet and the lower height adjustment ring and can be safely removed without spring compressors, at least on mine they can!. Thanks for your observations. Avo will refurbish these shortly.

Comment

Working...
                  X