Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mot pass, but excessive play in steering rack ball joint.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mot pass, but excessive play in steering rack ball joint.

Originally posted by gary.price View Post
    I wasnt planning on cutting the track rods. to much skill required.

I think iv found some measurements

Rack, rcond, exch rack, R-H drive, Marina MK1 to 1975 (length 40.5”)

Rack, rcond, exch rack, R-H drive, Marina MK2 & Ita, 1975 on (length 40.25”)

So is the difference gonna be enough to worry about. As in will it adjust out?
    How can i get over the different mountings?

Sorry for the daft questions.
    Those dimensions are probably as accurate as any and I cannot see that 1/4" difference will cause any problem.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Well my mk2 marina or ital rack turned up to today. Didnt take long to get in place. I had to disconnect the top heater hose and losen the radiator mounts then it just slid out. Was really tight tho. Thanks for your help. The alternator packed up again. which i will have to replace this time. Thanks steven.

Comment

That's a result.
        Can please confirm that the damaged rack and the new rack you fitted today had the same mounting flanges, or lack of, as the large pictures of a Mk2 rack I posted earler.

Reading through the various Roadster build manuals, they make no mention of different racks.
        The Marina manuals I have, talk of different front track width, but when compared against possible disc/drum and wheel/tyre combinations they all point to identical suspension dimensions.
        So from all the evidence, I can only conclude that apart from the mounting configuration, the racks are otherwise identical.

That is unless anyone has any further information that shows otherwise.
        MOC member since 05/97
        1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Comment

They both had the same. They are the same as the ones in on the first picture you posted, the close up shots.

Comment

Another Mk1 Rack. You can clearly see the flange on the NS that is not there on the Mk2 Rack.
            MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Your quite right steve. the quick look i had at it i was wrong, the old one is mk1 rack and the new one is a mk2 iv just been out bolting it in place and the passenger side fits but i had to make up a bracket to mount the drivers side. Its pushed the drivers side mount in by an inch. I might get something better made up later on but as it all fits together nicely im gonna try it out first. Thanks for you help. I havent tried the tres yet so hopefully they will fit ok. Apart from that the only difference seems to be the drivers mounting. Just need a new alternator then im back in action.

Comment

Comment

Comment

That last pic is of a Mk1 Rack, and the cleaner rack fitted in the car is a Mk2. So they are interchangeable apart from the mounting flanges.

I am still investigating another small variation that otherwise woud go un-noticed by many. When I am sure of my facts I will publish my findings.
                    MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Working...
                    X