Hand brake cable snapped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hand brake cable snapped

Help!! Whilst at the garage my YKC Sierra based roadster hand brake cable broke. The guys tell me it is not the main cable between the rear drums but a short connecting cable from the hand brake lever to the main U-shaped brake drum cable. What is it? Does anybody know? Your answers urgently appreciated, thanks, Patrick

Re: Hand brake cable snapped

Assuming this is a Marina axle the handbrake cable I have is split into two pieces at the reaction lever which is bolted to the axle. The longer piece goes from the handbrake lever to the N/S Brake and has an outer sleve, that is about 53 inches long and has a loose clevis at each end.

The shorter cable has no outer sleve and has a crimped on ferule at one end and a clevis at the other which attaches to the O/S brake, that is about 30 inches long. It would appear the two cables can not be separated and will almost certianly have to be bought as one.

A not very good picture of my back axle...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Robert in Cumbria; 07-08-12, 04:22 PM.

Comment

I have had pretty good results modifying cables by crimping ferrules on the end.
      But then I do know a boat chandler who has hydraulic crimping tools that does the job for a beer token.
      MOC member since 05/97
      1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
      1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
      Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
      The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

I retrieved this from an old post by keithh

"I don't know if it helps or not but the handbrake on the YKC (Sierra GLS donor - disks all round) Roadster is the standard cable from a Sierra GLS with a short adaptor cable Unipart no. UGC GVC 2235..."

Hope it helps or try PM keith
        Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Thanks but my rear drive is adapted Sierra not marina so I don't think its the same, Another member has the info a little further down the tread, thanks Patrick(I hope!)

Comment

Great Ben, thanks for that we'l try that tomorrow, regards,Patrick

Comment

Hi Patrick, I've only just seen this thread so you have probably solved it but just in case, the part comes off a Fiesta circa 1994 and you have to cut away a nylon block that is moulded to the cable. Ben gave you the Unipart no. (UGC GVC 2235) and the Ford number is 650 27 46 (or 650 72 46 - can't read my own writing). The last one I bought was in 2006 for £4.62

Comment

Working...
              X