Pentillie Festival of Speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pentillie Festival of Speed

I went to Pentillie today it was a great event even though part of the grounds had been turned into a quagmire by yesterdays rain.The setting is absolutely glorious, this is a real gem. Plenty of cars on show but sadly only one other Marlin. All the people I spoke to hope that the event is run again next year.In fact the owner of a particularly good Jaguar XK120 thought it could be the Southwest equivalent of Goodwood!

Re: Pentillie Festival of Speed

Hi Ken, I was going to the show - had a pass too. I had to stay behind as my camp site has also turned in to a quagmire and two units wanted to leave early due to the weather. Cheryl won't drive the 4x4 or the tractor thus I was needed to drag the caravans of the site if required. I agree that the show must be supported to run next year. The freak weather had better not return. See you all soon.
    Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Hi Dane it's a shame they don't appear to have the facilities for a lunchtime meet up it would be a great venue. Anyway hope to see you at Exeter show if not before.

Comment

Originally posted by ken View Post
        I went to Pentillie today it was a great event even though part of the grounds had been turned into a quagmire by yesterdays rain.The setting is absolutely glorious, this is a real gem. Plenty of cars on show but sadly only one other Marlin. All the people I spoke to hope that the event is run again next year.In fact the owner of a particularly good Jaguar XK120 thought it could be the Southwest equivalent of Goodwood!
        Did anyone else go; and have any photos?

Comment

Pentillie photos
          Attached Files

Comment

Sorry only one uploaded. I can't get the complete file to upload. Is it me or my machine? Don't answer that!

Comment

Facebook has a couple of Groups about Pentillie, complete with pic's.
              There is the official one, and one fr those who were stuck in the mud.
              Can't see any Marlins though.

Comment

I was there and greyv8pete and Andrew in his red Berli. Was a shame the club field was closed due to mud as we ended up in spectator car parks! Have several pics, will post up tomorrow hopefully. Event was ok, bit too much spread over a very large area to see all of it. Some better signage would've been useful as well!

Personally I think Wiscombe is a better venue for actual hillclimb viewing, but for a family day out Pentillie ticks all the boxes.

Couldn't believe how many people had turned up in flip flops and high heels, highly amusing!

Comment

Pentille 2012. After the torrential rain on the Saturday most parking areas and access roads resembled trial sections, but at least the show did go on!

The rain / mud caused the abandonment of the original display area so they set up a Plan B display area where I spotted the Hunter. We gave up waiting to park there as the marshals had a long delay in fighting the mud at the entrance, so we opted to stay in the spectators parking area and get on to see the action.

Not a bad attempt for a first event but I think the organisers will have learnt a lot from the experience which if fully addressed should produce an even better show next year. Peter.
                  The Castle.jpgAndrew's Berli.jpgDave's Berli and Peter's Hunter.jpgHunter Pentille.jpgPentille Approaching Start Line.jpg

Photo captions did not copy across so in order they are: The Castle / Andrew’s Berli / Dave’s Berli / Pete’s Hunter / Hunter in the Display Area / Approaching the Start Line. Peter.
                  Last edited by greyV8pete; 27-08-12, 06:37 PM. Reason: Photo captions added.

Comment

The red car with the registration ending WKE is mine and it's a Cabriolet! I think you thought this was the Hunter. If I'm right sorry to disappoint!

Comment

Originally posted by ken View Post
                      The red car with the registration ending WKE is mine and it's a Cabriolet! I think you thought this was the Hunter. If I'm right sorry to disappoint!
                      Hi Ken. At least I got the shape right . Very tidy it looks too. I am still trying to get the mud off my tyres! Peter.

Comment

Hello, well done all of you who made Pentillie. It seemed an amazingly good humoured event inspite of the terrible conditions. Ted Coryton was going to call the whole event off but was encouraged to continue.
                        The last photo above, the 'start line', shows the old school room by the river. There is also a large parking area on the quay just out of shot. The School room is available to hire and can be catered for if needed, anything from pasties to whatever, then one could do the hill climb from the quay to the entrance/finish, very sedately of course .........!
                        Good to meet the Somerset contingent.
                        Hope to see more Marlins next year.
                        Andrew

Comment

Sorry, can only do bulk upload at work, insert pic in advanced edit plays havoc with our web marshall thing

Comment

I like no 72

Comment

Working...
                            X