Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page

Thread: Soft top front fixings

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Soft top front fixings 
    Club Member
    Funnily enough, I have been looking at a very similar clip, advantage being that the small part is fixed to the screen frame but the handle extends down rather than up.
    The guy who has them said he would get dimensions for me to check they will fit. I have sent him this which shows the sizes I need to know...
    Attached Images

2. #12 Re: Soft top front fixings 
    Club Member
    When I found the sizes for the catch above it became obvious that it was way too big, I eventually tracked down a smaller one from RS (340-2285)
    After a lot of cutting, bending, silver soldering and drilling of brass sheet I have four catch mounts all but done.

catches04.jpg

They seem to be about the right size.

catches03.jpg

As you can see a previous owner of the berli had attached some rather useful plates to the front edge of the screen surround to latch on to!

I am just waiting for some shoulder bolts to arrive so that I can fit it all.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by rog8811; 15-09-2012 at 08:38 PM.

3. #13 Re: Soft top front fixings 
    frequent forum contributor
    very nice job Rog - a good solution, maybe you could send in your pics to John Mulvaney for inclusion in Pitstop??

4. #14 Re: Soft top front fixings 
    Club Member
    If they are of use to anyone I will do better pictures and drawings for the mag.

I have redesigned the catch plate, at present the plates are stood off on washers which strains the fixing screws sideways.
    By replacing the plate with angle there is no pressure on the screws as it is transferred straight to the underside of the screen frame, the slot in the underside of the angle is just for location of the hook so that it cannot slip off.

catch plate01.jpg

5. #15 Re: Soft top front fixings 
    Club Member
    Hi Andrew,
    Not much to add really but all I have done is to throw out the bolts and use M6 plastic "hand fasteners" similar to these on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M6-hand-fa...item460798674f

(You will probably have to copy and paste the link). When the hood is down they are screwed onto the bolts and make them look better but as you say, it takes a little time to put the hood up (whose afraid of a little rain anyway?).

6. #16 Re: Soft top front fixings 
    Club Member
    Andrew
    I fitted 1/4 turn catches on my Berlinetta, I described this in a pitstop article some years ago?
    It does mean you need to have the screen frame machined in order to fit catch plates.
    I have found them easy to use and leak proof, the only modification I would do is to fit 3 or 4, I only used 2

I will try and attach some photos (with luck) which will show the installation.

Dave H.

7. #17 Re: Soft top front fixings 
    Club Member
    Andrew
    2nd attempt to post photos?
    Fingers crossed.

Dave H
    Attached Images

8. #18 Re: Soft top front fixings 
    Club Member
    I have been following this thread as I want to improve the method I use on my Roadster. I would like to be able to have the hood up but not fit the side screens and I am not sure my current "stretcher" method would work (I guess I should pluck up courage to find an empty road and simply try it out). Anyway, with the difficulties of mounting a catch that doesn't compromise the hood material, I wondered if anyone has ever tried reversing the problem and put tensioners at the back of the hood as per the diagram? I suppose it is another variant of the stretcher concept but I was interested to see if anyone had tried it and what the results were

9. #19 Re: Soft top front fixings 
    Club Member
    @ keithh The Berli hood fits flat on the top rail, does the roadster hood hook over the front of the frame as standard?
    Front egde Berlinetta roof.jpg
    @ david hunt 1952 I like the look of that but retro machining those slots in the screen frame would not be easy.

10. #20 Re: Soft top front fixings 
    Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rog8811 View Post
    @ keithh The Berli hood fits flat on the top rail, does the roadster hood hook over the front of the frame as standard?
    Front egde Berlinetta roof.jpg
    @ david hunt 1952 I like the look of that but retro machining those slots in the screen frame would not be easy.
    Hi Roger

That is a very good question (and a very clear drawing). I think the answer is yes. I also just noticed that the Sportster currently on the first page of the website also sees to have the same system. If true, what do Marlin themselves do on the Sportster

Keith