Headlining a hard top

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlining a hard top

As the car is parked outdoors I am getting ready for winter and want to fit a hard top, the one I have needs some work which includes some sort of headlining,
    I am looking on ebay at a foam backed material and glue to stick it back, does that fit the bill?

Or is there a better way that a reasonably practical man can do at home?

Any advice appreciated

Regards Rog

Re: Headlining a hard top

Hi Hope you dont mind me commenting as a newbie...Just my 2p,I stand to be corrected,but,I hope that spray glue is ok,as over the yrs all the spray glues Ive used on panelling/headlining have come unstuck after a while,especially in the heat,and Ive ended up using evo stick type spread on glues instead. A laborious task!

Comment

Hi Hope you dont mind me commenting as a newbie
      Not at all, even new members have knowledge to impart I did wonder about the longevity of the adhesive.... I wondered about having it flock sprayed on the inside, anyone tried that?

I have also been looking for "spray on vinyl roof" (outside has been hand painted so needs rubbing down)....commonplace stuff in the 1970's don't seem to be able to find it now....probably too dangerous to use as drinking it causes cancer in rats....

Comment

OK....has anyone any experience of flock sprinkling the inside of the roof..... or electrostatic flocking... or anything else?

Comment

....so does no one have a headlining in a berli hard top that they can describe to me? Or a method of lining they can suggest to me?

Comment

Roger,
            A material that has worked well for several owners is a very thin ribbed carpet material. only approx 2mm thick can be worked by hand and fitted in one piece. However evo type contact adhesive has proved to last longer than some of the spray types. There is at least one Berly hard top headlined in the traditional method using 1960 type lining fixed with wires stretched excellent job. The foam/ sponge material is easy to fit making up patterns as shown in the build manual, but does not last so I woulsd not recommend. the same goes for the flock spray on, not a good job. The problem of course is condensation as can be seen if you just paint the inside of the top. I have also seen a very respectable job using a thin fibre board cut to patterns and tack fixed in position. Just some of the many solutions that I have seen.
            Danny.

Comment

very thin ribbed carpet material
              Hi Danny, thanks for the input, any pointers to the name of the material or where to get it as I assume it is not really carpet as it is so thin?

*EDIT* I may have found it, Veltrim!
              Last edited by rog8811; 16-09-12, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Roger - can't add much except that spray glue and the foam-backed material does fall off (although living under the Australian sun probably accelerated the effect). I need to do the same job so please do post your final solution.
                Stu.

Comment

Hi, I with the constant rain we have suffered in Cornwall foir the last twelve months I decided to put my hard top to use. It has been wrapped and carefully stored in my garage roof for the last eleven years. The GRP is in very good condition but surprise, surprise., the headlining is hanging off. It is a bit of a state but as I started the task in the wrong order by removing, wrapping and storing my soft top first, I need to fit the hard top very soon. I find that the problem is not the contact glue. The backing is stuck fast to the inside of the hood. The thin layer of foam has turned to dust releasing the soft inner material to escape. As I'm in a rush I used trusty "Henry" to vacuum off all the knackered foam from the hood and cloth and re-applied the soft inner with a foaming type of spray contact glue. (The manufacturers reckon the foam stops the glue soaking through porous surfaces...er... look at my hands!). I used a small roller to reseat the loose material and surprisingly it has stuck well and I have few creases. The whole lining will have to be replaced which I shall do next Spring Summer. Thanks for the info about Veltrim.
                  The Rivnuts that I inserted in the bodywork many years ago have made replacing the hard top a doddle. I use slightly longer countersunk rivnuts straight in to the GRP but they are liberally coated and seated in epoxy to allow them to fix without undue pressure, to spread the load and seal the GRP edges of the hole. The threads of the rivnuts will not suffer from the epoxy jamming them up as the Memfast tool should be, and was, oiled well before each use.
                  I suppose the rain will stop now I've fitted the thing. Ho Hum!
                  Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Just found that Woolies stock the foam backed stuff. It has lasted in my hard top for 23 years so I'll probably go for their stuff. Have a shufti on woolies-trim.co.uk

Comment

Personally I used some brushed nylon/drayon type fabric, very similar to the stuff velcro receptive notice boards are made from, but with the foam backing enclosed by a scrim so the glue sticks better.
                      http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/p-1361-brushed-nylon-headlining.aspx £17.20 a metre
                      It is about 2 or 3mm thick and I think came from Woolies. It looks very professional, but then again I did pay an car upholsterer in Sheffield to do the job after I'd sourced the fabric.
                      For plain foam backed stuff if you are on a tight budget, you could try something from here http://www.fabricuk.com/fabrics.php?fabric_type=707 at £4.99 a metre.
                      I've used the latter for making soft inserts for camera bags.
                      Best Wishes
                      Bill Williams
                      Berlinetta

[/COLOR]Click here for The nearest thing I have to a home page

Comment

Yup, I thought of using the Woolies stuff, but that will be next summer when the hard top is off again.
                        I found nearly a dozen little marks in the hard top today when I was polishing it. They are actually snail bites. The little B**g**s got in to the wrappings and helped themselves. I didn't know they would do this but apparently they like the gel coat. I'll fill them in for now (the little pits I mean) with the car coloured polish but more work to do in summer. Sigh ! I'll put slug pellets in the top when I store it away again.

Comment

Bill, I need to do this job sometime - how much fabric did you use (linear metres)? Thanks, Stu

Comment

Working...
                          X