Berlinetta type 9 five speed box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Berlinetta type 9 five speed box

OK the box is now sitting in the car, I have had to cut a couple of inches off the mountings on the chassis but it appears to be ok, HOWEVER it looks tight for the speedo drive which is sitting just above the crossmember. Has anyone dealt with this problem? any advice appreciated. Phil

Re: Berlinetta type 9 five speed box

You can fit a 90 degree angle drive adaptor but very expensive, or run your speedo cable from the dash under the drivers carpet and put a hole in tunnel inline with the speedo drive on the gearbox, it is very tight but can be done.

Comment

Under the carpet is an option. When I fitted a T9 in my Roaster, I looked at under the carpet, fitting an angle drive or using an electronic sender. Each has its own advantage or disadvantage. I ended up with an angle drive as the electronc sender needed 60mm clearance to fit, and even that was tight.
      MOC member since 05/97
      1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
      1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
      Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
      The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Yeah done it loads of times on various berlinettas and roadsters putting a hole in the tunnel and feeding it through, lay it along the floor and put sound proofing over the top then fixed behind the dash.
        What rear mount have you used ?

Comment

Very simple solution with a small modification to the mount covered in an article by Brian Gadd . Good cable run and easy access.
          Danny.

Comment

Any idea which mag its in?

Adrian

Comment

Should be on here going back a little.
              Danny

Comment

I must be one of the lucky ones! I replaced my Rocket box with a type 9. Like yourselves I chopped about 60mm off the chassis to gearbox mount outriggers. I used the standard Rocket / type 9 cortina mounting. I have also moved the engine and gearbox 12mm forwards in the car to make more space between the cylinder head and engine bulkhead. My previous speedo cable just fits the type 9 with no modifications. Space is a little tight to fit the circlip but no bad radii in the cable which is easily long enough. I can only assume that the cable is longer than the standard one but it has been on the car since 1989!
                I was going to either fit a 90° drive or fit the Sierra tacho genny and buy an electric speedo. In my case, the two options would take up more space than just fitting the cable as I have managed!
                On a slightly different tack, I have recently calculating power v Revs v Gear v speed. I reckon my car is over geared with the type 9 in fifth and a 3.75 back axle. My engine is a Vulcan 2.1 and really only creates extra power at higher rpm, say 3500 rpm plus. I'm tempted to find the alternative 4.1 rear diff but it seems to be a bit rare. I'm estimating the Cd of an open topped Berli between 7 and 7.8 does anyone have any figures on this??
                This was brouhgt about whilst on a ong trip recently trying to maintain "the UK maximum" speed up hills in to a 25 mph headwind I was losing speed. The engine is good for around 140 bhp at the flywheel and if my calcs are correct I shouldn't expect the car to progress
                Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Thanks for all the replies and advice. I looked at the options of right angle drive 'Too expensive' Electronic Speedo 'Too Expensive' So I was thinking of moving the engine and box forward slightly and packing up the gearbox mounting a little to give me the room for the cable, my gearbox mounting is the standard Ford. The last response from Rescueman appears to tick the boxes. Danny I have tried to find the article by Brian Gadd but at the moment I have been unable to find it, I will keep looking. Once again Thanks again Phil

Comment

Phil, I hope your cable will reach OK. It is a bit tight to fix the circlip. I disconnected at the speedo and withdrew the inner by about 3" . This made fitting the outer and the circlip over the flange at the gearbox easier. I then re-engaged the inner with the drive gear by rotating slightly and pushing gently down until engagement was felt, then reattach to the speedo - job done. Wishing you the very best of luck.
                    Dane.
                    Last edited by Dane_Rescueman; 10-09-12, 07:02 PM. Reason: Bliddy spooling agian !
                    Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Working...
                    X