Early Triumph roadster - questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Early Triumph roadster - questions

Once again, I've been absent, I apologise...

As you're all no doubt aware, the last 20% takes 80% of the time - we have been making progress, although not much to report in the grand scheme of things.

Wiring - headlights are connected and work, indicators work (switch required open heart surgery), rear lights ALL work, dash lights work, ignition switch works, charging system works. We had to ditch the rev counter as the new dizzy doesn't have a cable take off...

Engine/transmission - car starts, runs and drives under its own steam. There is some clutch judder however, we should have heeded the warnings given (lesson to be learnt there!) although it doesn't slip. Radiator has been recored, need to get the thermal switch for the fan working.

Suspension/brakes - working, including handbrake. One new tyre has a slow puncture, probably bead seat corrosion.

Still to do - fit wipers, although motor and mech has been tested and works. Washer jets (mental note). Obtain and fit front sidelights. MOT!! Obtain V5. Decide what to do with it!

here's a couple of pics taken yesterday

thanks

Tony

Comment

Hi Tony, Good to hear from you, I have PM you. Well done all looking good but as you have changed the rear lights you may need to think about rear reflectors
      Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Hi Tony,

Another nice build thread.

I'm new here and mostly doing research lol ie reading about all you guys have done.

Even though I have nothing yet to contribute lol, Somehow it seems a bit rude not to atleast show some appreciation for the work you chaps/chapettes have done!!

Dan.

Comment

Hello everyone,

once again I apologise for my absence, things have been moving on but very slowly and with little photographic evidence... The boys have been working on a Greenpower car and we're at the "final 20% takes 80%" boring phase so motivation is low.

In summary:

New LED sidelights fitted, I struggled to find some small enough, but Car Builder Solutions had something that works
          Dash has been trial fitted and the final version laser cut from ally plate, needs clocks fitting and wiring up
          Harnesses purchased, used some Securon ones looped around the new bar linking the rear damper mounts
          A rear floor has been cut to plug the hole, not 100% watertight, but should stop 95% of the spray
          A new battery was purchased and a new clamp fabricated
          Wiper arms and blades have been modified to fit

That's about it for now, there's a list of MOT jobs (inc a washer jet solution) but we're working through them slowly.

A couple of the boys are leaving in July so we really want it finished for a month or 2 before they go.

Thanks

Tony

Comment

Spooky thought about emailing you the other day, come on now your on the last furlong surely the boys owe it to you to help get it finished. Well done everyone.

Comment

Hello everyone (if anyone's still reading/following...)

It's almost been a year since my last update and to be honest, not much has happened!

The last summer term (i.e. April-June) was occupied with building and competing a greenpower car. The teacher in charge also has a shift in his long term desires to have one rebuild project and maintaining the 2 off road vehicles to make sure they didn't bite off too much. The new priority is towards off-road vehicles so that they can be used by the pupils on site

As such the Spartan project was sold before it was started. The Marlin has been sidelined while the new rebuild was started - a Willys Jeep, this is now stripped (which took the whole of the autumn term) and the chassis off getting repaired.

There has also been an added complication of the previous owner deciding they might want the Marlin back, which considering we don't have the V5 could prove to be a massive spanner in the works. As such we're not doing any more work until we know where we stand. I'll update more when I get it....

Comment

Hi everyone

A quick update on this as things have been happening.

The Marlin has gone back to the family of the previous owner and will live on. Someone who knows the new owner and the car's history better than I do has posted on the retro rides thread, found here: http://forum.retro-rides.org/thread/...rollTo=2354692

I've suggested they register on here and make contact.

This will be my last post, so many thanks for all the assistance during the build!

Comment

It's a shame that a lot of your pictures are no longer available, Photobucket changed, not completely your fault.

It would be good to follow up on the story though with the new/original owner.

Comment

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
                    Photobucket changed, not completely your fault.
                    Not his fault at all Steve, photobucket started to charge huge sums so its members could hotlink to their photos. SOme members cant even get their photos back without upgrading to the highest level of membership.
                    Dont risk using photobucket or similar is my advice.

And yes, will be interesting to see the next chapter in this car's story!

Comment

Most of the original pictures are on the link posted above.#67

Comment

yes, unfortunately photobucket has caused all manor of damage to internet forums... The admin of retro rides has implemented a fix so they can be seen on a web browser, you may have to refresh a few times for them to appear.

Comment

Originally posted by cameronfurnival View Post
                          Not his fault at all Steve, photobucket started to charge huge sums so its members could hotlink to their photos. SOme members cant even get their photos back without upgrading to the highest level of membership.
                          Dont risk using photobucket or similar is my advice.

And yes, will be interesting to see the next chapter in this car's story!
                          No blame was attached. It's a salutary lesson, not everything on the internet is eternal.

Comment

Working...
                          X