Sportster Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sportster Conversion

Is it feasible to convert a Triumph-based Roadster to Sportster configuration? What would one need? I feel a bit hindered by my flapping wings.

Re: Sportster Conversion

Are you talking about a Cycle Wing conversion?
    Easier to do IMHO and neater on a Triumph suspension rather than a Marina.

Typing 'Cycle' in the search box will find different discussions on the subject as well as several pictures.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

AWD 386J cycle wings.jpg Heres one picture I have managed to find.
      Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Thanks very much gents, that's what I was thinking of.
        Any idea where I could find the front guards? And maybe some side-steps?
        Built my roadster in '84 using a Vitesse Mk II and have had it ever since - a revamp would be an interesting project.

Comment

Hi Trimar

Im sure someone will know where to get the wings possibly one of the Locost suppliers.

Is your car all Triumph MK1 or does it have a live rear axle?

Either way, is it possible you could PM me with the details of your car Reg number and chassis number colour etc. for the register. Much appreciated if you could.

Comment

A starting point might be http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/search,b.html?q=cycle+wings
            Not cheap and you would need to paint and fabricate brackets to suit.
            If you have a side exhaust you will need to fabricate a heat shield, rather than steps.
            MOC member since 05/97
            1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
            1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
            Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
            The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Hi Trimar, Just had a quick look on Ebay, loads on there at reasonable prices.

Terry

Comment

The roadster with cycle wings pictured above is mine. Pictured after the rebuild following being written off.

They are 'locost' wings, with my own fabricated brackets. Fortunately when did the conversion, a few years before the write off, I actually bought 3 wings so had a spare.

The only awkward part for the brackets was ensuring enough clearance for the upper wishbones with steering on lock, not a problem now as I have adjustable upper wishbones and have more than ample clearance.

Neil.

Comment

Cycle type wings eh? Yes they can look good on a Roadster. How about this for a wheeze - consider using a pair of rear wings. With their flaired out trailing edge it would look more stylish than the traditional "C" shaped jobs. You would have to cut a few inches off the front end and cut out and fill the rear light section. Just a thought.
                  Franklin, Leicester

Comment

Originally posted by neiltechspec View Post
                    The roadster with cycle wings pictured above is mine. Pictured after the rebuild following being written off.......
                    .....The only awkward part for the brackets was ensuring enough clearance for the upper wishbones with steering on lock, not a problem now as I have adjustable upper wishbones and have more than ample clearance.

Neil.
                    Neil

How did you make your upper wish bone adjustable? I'm assuming you have a Triumph front end? I have a Cabrio, which has a similar style top wishbone, but will require a substantial number of shims, to eliminate the significant negative camber. I would like to have the ability to dial the camber out using a threaded adjuster, rather than using trial and error with a significant number of shims.

My Cabrio lowered onto its wheels for the first time, without any shims fitted to take out the negative camber.

Comment

Sorry Neil I should have given you the credit I got so excited about managing to post the picture I forgot. Regards Ben
                      Originally posted by neiltechspec View Post
                      The roadster with cycle wings pictured above is mine. Pictured after the rebuild following being written off.

They are 'locost' wings, with my own fabricated brackets. Fortunately when did the conversion, a few years before the write off, I actually bought 3 wings so had a spare.

The only awkward part for the brackets was ensuring enough clearance for the upper wishbones with steering on lock, not a problem now as I have adjustable upper wishbones and have more than ample clearance.

Neil.

Comment

No prob Ben, don't worry about it.

Neil

Comment

Mike,

It is indeed small block Triumph front suspension.

The adjustable top wishbones came from Canley Classics, they use a largish track rod end for the top swivel (not sure what vehicle it's from).

Weren't cheap though, but following the write off incident I couldn't get the camber right and matching on both sides just by shimming.

Neil.

Comment

Hi Mike adjustable TCA's from compbrake £170 per set delivered to your door...............................
                            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Terry, they look good value.

Comment

Working...
                              X