MOT and seat runners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOT and seat runners

My 1981 Mk 1 roadster is due for a MOT when I have finished working on the engine, No1 piston had once again broken between the rings. My local MOT garage told me today I would need to fit seat runners. These have never been fitted, Marlin seats have always been bolted directly through the plywood floor. Different holes for different leg lengths, if I had runners fitted the seat would be raised causing me to be looking through the windscreen surround. Is this a definite new ruling? I could not find any definite information anywhere.

David.

Re: MOT and seat runners

I would use a different garage for your MOT as whats the difference to bolting seat runners to the floor Vs the seat without runners ?.

Comment

I think this link may be of interest to you http://www.pistonheads.com/news/defa...?storyId=25433

Comment

This is a concern to me too but I think I have resolved it...

Screen Shot 2012-11-08 at 20.32.23.jpg

The operative bit is "Original design characteristics to be accepted". Tell the tester to read his manual a bit more carefully, nicely, of course!

Comment

My mot tester just asked me if the seats move. I just said they didnt. No problems. But i do know him well and done the test with him at my cousins garage. But he would never let anything dangerous go through still had the usual advisories of course lol.

Comment

My guy just checked to see the seats were bolted down securely. sounds like you need to go elsewhere in future.

Comment

Many thanks for all the replies. The owner of the garage confirmed he would fail my Roadster for having a non-adjustable driver's seat, but if I argued he would ring VOSA for their interpretation of the new admendments. I sent VOSA an e-mail and their reply is as follows: "If a seat has been replaced with one that bolts directly to the floor [or that was the original design], then clearly it has no adjustment mechanism so it should not be failed for it not working"

Good result, and I hopes this shows that VOSA are on our side. David

Comment

Working...
              X