WANTED - Roadster Bonnet Sides

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WANTED - Roadster Bonnet Sides

It's a long shot I know...but I'm after a pair of unmolested i.e. not drilled, cut or otherwise abused bonnet sides for a Marina Roadster.
    Planning on cycle wings & polished ally bonnet...I know its a bit "sevenesque" but I fancy a change...
    If anyone can help please drop me a PM.
    Thanks
    Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
    Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Re: WANTED - Roadster Bonnet Sides

This could be a route to problems, do you plan to varnish the aluminium? Bare metal will discolour very quickly and start to show white rust in patches. Acid rain and fallen leaves will leave their marks. OK if you don't plan to take the car out in the rain perhaps...

Having polished a BMW Motorbike engine and suspension parts, then watch them rapidly deteriorate in the weather was very disappointing to say the least.

If you plan to have shiny aluminium I would get new panels made, That will save trying to get the paint off without marking the panels and new aluminium is nice and shiny out of the box. Being flat they will be very easy to have made. You have the patterns so any sheet metal shop should be able to do it, even the bonnet.

Comment

Is itan opportunity to go the expensive route of having the side panels manufactured from Stainless Steel. A half decent sheet metal shop should even be able to duplicate your bonnet.
      MOC member since 05/97
      1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
      1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
      Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
      The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Thanks chaps
        I'm trying a budget-conscious approach...especially as the gearbox desperately needs a rebuild (5th gear is disintegrating), so would prefer not to involve external suppliers if I can avoid it. I also want to incorporate a fully hinged bonnet (i.e. side panels as well) to improve access...so the design will probably evolve as I go.
        As regards polishing & oxidisation, I've heard mixed reports but as this isn't an all-weather trials car I'm less concerned at this stage...but may think about a varnish/lacquer finish later.
        Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
        Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Working...
        X