• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What have you done with your marlin today

70mph in a Roadster?! Yikes! 😬 👏

Comment

Yea Scary I know. I've got to work out what diff it has. If only to get the cruising revs down. I haven't been under to look yet, but should there be any marks on the outside of the diff?

Comment

Only where you've hit the speed bumps...!!!

Comment

Originally posted by HairyDave View Post
          Yea Scary I know. I've got to work out what diff it has. If only to get the cruising revs down. I haven't been under to look yet, but should there be any marks on the outside of the diff?
          Diffs are unmarked. If you look at my docs in Keepandshare there is a magnum opus talking about all things Marina/Ital back axles, including the speedo gear in the gearbox.

Easy way to find out is to stick it in neutral handbrake off, jack one rear wheel of the ground, chock the others, then turn the wheel by hand, while counting individual revolutions of wheel and propshaft.
          A bit of simple maths will reveal the gear ratio.
          You could lift both rear wheels which simplifies the maths a bit, but then it definitely becomes a two man job to make sure both wheels turn the same amount. Obviously it could be done on a flat bit of road, simply pushing the car along and counting the turns of prop and wheels, but being in two places at a time with a moving car is impractical, when there is an easier way.
          MOC member since 05/97
          1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
          1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
          Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
          The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Cheers for that Steve. Keepandshare was going to be my next stop after Mothering Sunday. The idea of putting it in gear and being pulled along on a creeperboard while counting paint marks does seem the most practical way to do it.

Comment

Cheers for that Steve. Keepandshare was going to be my next stop after Mothering Sunday. The idea of putting it in gear and being pulled along on a creeperboard while counting paint marks does seem the most practical way to do it.
              That sounds positively dangerous. But hey, whatever floats your boat.
              MOC member since 05/97
              1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
              1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
              Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
              The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Honest Steve ,I was joking,leastways I thik I was.

Comment

After my sub PO. didn't know how to do it, Chester main PO took 5 min to make myRoaster tax free! Also tax it. Yay!

Comment

Hiya what year is your car and when was it first registered?

Mine , I think should be tax free from today but not sure.

Car was first registered in Oct 1978.

Adrian

After my sub PO. didn't know how to do it, Chester main PO took 5 min to make myRoaster tax free! Also tax it. Yay!

Comment

1-8-78 T reg. I rang the DVLA who were very helpful explaining that from April 1 it would be tax and MOT free. Take V5C to a PO with historic in the 'change of tax' section. If it is taxed now it needs to be SORNed first. Wait till the end of the month now. Then taxed free next month. My subPO went into melt down, 'we know nothing, the person who knows is not here' So off to main PO 5min wait 5min to do it. Take insurance cert ,you may need it I didn't. Good luck. Dave
                      PS Mine was taxed but I SORNed it on Sunday evening, before going to see Francis Rossi In Crewe. Excelent
                      Last edited by HairyDave; 01-04-19, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Silly question why does it need to be SORNED first.

If so, can you SORN a car that has tax left on it?

Adrian

1-8-78 T reg. I rang the DVLA who were very helpful explaining that from April 1 it would be tax and MOT free. Take V5C to a PO with historic in the 'change of tax' section. If it is taxed now it needs to be SORNed first. Wait till the end of the month now. Then taxed free next month. My subPO went into melt down, 'we know nothing, the person who knows is not here' So off to main PO 5min wait 5min to do it. Take insurance cert ,you may need it I didn't. Good luck. Dave
                        PS Mine was taxed but I SORNed it on Sunday evening, before going to see Francis Rossi In Crewe. Excelent

Comment

I thought I had replied to this but it seems to have dissapeared, so. Not silly . If you have paid tax on it and you want to go tax free first you need to cancel your paid tax (sorn) eventually you get a refund. The tax is only refunded on complete months. Then you take the V5 to the PO and change the tax class to Historic and they will tax it FOC. You may or may not need Insurance and MOT although it will be mot free as well. If on the other hand the car has been off the road before sorn came in then probably you won't have to sorn it first. I sorned mine on the 31st of March and taxed it on 1st of April.

Comment

Cheers

Adrian

Comment

Happy to help. Anything to cut the cost of motoring.

Comment

Took the Roadster out on the St Ives to St Just road in lovely weather. Last minute decision to refuel in Penzance, and pulled up behind a Cabrio belonging to Paul McGrath (hope I remembered the name correctly).

Comment

Working...
                                X