This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What have you done with your marlin today

Petermarlin, Good time to fill up, with petrol around£1.10/Ltr. Lucky sod, we were going to be coming down for the Landrover Ser1 meeting at Stithians at the end of June, canceled now. I bet it is lovely!
    My Roadster is in bits after I decided to sort out the rattling clutch release bearing. Up went the car, down came the engine and gearbox on to a trolley, quick pull then go back and disconnect the speedo cable! Take the gearbox off and find out that the release bearing was perfect and the cause of the rattle was one of the many clutch fingers was bent and seemed to contact the bearing. Then recon the slave cylinder after fighting to get the hose off then fitting a new one. All sorted and back together in the car and it only took a month, well I don't like rushing. Moved the extension gear lever forward a few inches. Then, out came the dash to replace the two clock dash with a four clock. Guess what? The looms are different the plugs are different and the speedo fitting is different! Changed the speedo and the two clock front face. The original wiring does not fully match Haynes diagram and neither does the new dash plug, so it is a wire by wire test after first checking that all the wires on the new plug worked something and what it was. I have put in a new lead for the tacho. Now I'm off to do a bit more, hot sun removes motivation! Oh, when I refitted the carbs the engine doesn't want to tick over, just run fast. That can wait. Mustn't forget to put the prop shaft back on! Bye for now. Just noticed thread is 'What did you do today'. Nothing yet.
    Last edited by HairyDave; 31-05-20, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Car back on the road today. Quick trip along the Morridge, Nr Leek. Saw several old cars and one kit while we were out. Making the most of the weather before it breaks.

Comment

Good news Liz, well done.

Rgds to both DC

Comment

Been using it most days , just me and the dog, finding new walks away from the crowds. Did have a run out with the better half [yes , I sometimes take her out!] Out thro' Ashbourne, Kedleston etc at the weekend.

Comment

It was good to meet you too, Peter. It’s Phil by the way.

Two Marlins on the same petrol forecourt together must be unusual. I had been for a blat through Helston, up to Redruth, along the A30 to Penzance then back home.

Yesterday my wife Deb and I drove to St Agnes for a long walk along the coast path then Deb drove home. A beautiful day for a 60 mile round trip.

Comment

Noticed a small patch of rust on the chassis by the drivers door. Decided to do something about it and got the pressure washer out. There is now no powder coating on the chassis from just behind the front wheel to the rear on either side.
              A fair bit of surface rust. Any suggestions on the best was to remove the rust and to treat the chassis?

Comment

Hi Chris. I use Rustoleum combi colour brushing paint. Have a look at post #5 on the following link. A good wire brushing and a spray with degreaser first is all I do. Quick, easy and it lasts well. Peter.

Last edited by greyV8pete; 10-06-20, 05:02 PM. Reason: Paint not oaint!

Comment

Hello Chris...greyv8pete's link #7 summarises my experience with POR15. It is very good but horrid to use, and also fades overtime if exposed to direct sunlight. This year I've used Pete's recommended Rustoleum and in contrast to POR15 it is a relative joy to use. I've now done almost the whole of the underbody...and just had the chassis sides to complete when lockdown separated me from my car! It's still sitting on a pillar lift 20 miles away with just a morning's work to go before it's done.

Comment

Rustoleum best paint ever, all fibre glass parts on my car painted with it. Best thing, two years later touched paint up, same colour. Oil based so can use brush, self levels.

Brilliant stuff.

Adrian

P.s great for fibre glass as flexible.
                    Last edited by listerjp2; 12-06-20, 07:51 PM.

Comment

I must admit Rustoleum is good paint, I painted my sons bedroom radiator with it when I decorated. Covers well and no visible brush marks.
                      I will be buying more to keep on the shelf but during this pandemic and as with most paint it is out of stock in local stores and online prices are stooopid. What are people doing with it all? Need I ask. :-)
                      Cheers all and keep safe. Martin.

Comment

Thanks for the advice everyone. I've got 1 litre of Rustolium in the post, cost about £30 but about the same price as a litre of Hammerite.

Comment

The difference being is that Hammerite is brittle when dry and Rustolium is flexible.

Adrian

Comment

Hi Adrian,
                            I’d like to brush paint my Roadster windscreen in a darker silver colour .. and I’d need a base primer too. Can you recommend which of the Rustoleum paints to use please .. several options available??

Br ..Richard
                            Triumph Herald 1200 based Roadster
                            Bought in 1983 as a running restoration

Comment

Do you want a chrome finish or a stainless steel look?

Comment

Originally posted by 928cdu View Post
                                Hi Adrian,
                                I’d like to brush paint my Roadster windscreen in a darker silver colour .. and I’d need a base primer too. Can you recommend which of the Rustoleum paints to use please .. several options available??

Br ..Richard
                                Whatever the colour that you choose make sure you get the brushing Rustoleum Combi Colour. The spray cans are not the same, more like the latest Hammerite brittle stuff. Peter.

Comment

Working...
                                X