Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page

Thread: What have you done with your marlin today

Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast
  1. #251 Re: What have you done with your marlin today 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member listerjp2's Avatar
    Silly question why does it need to be SORNED first.

If so, can you SORN a car that has tax left on it?

Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by HairyDave View Post
    1-8-78 T reg. I rang the DVLA who were very helpful explaining that from April 1 it would be tax and MOT free. Take V5C to a PO with historic in the 'change of tax' section. If it is taxed now it needs to be SORNed first. Wait till the end of the month now. Then taxed free next month. My subPO went into melt down, 'we know nothing, the person who knows is not here' So off to main PO 5min wait 5min to do it. Take insurance cert ,you may need it I didn't. Good luck. Dave
    PS Mine was taxed but I SORNed it on Sunday evening, before going to see Francis Rossi In Crewe. Excelent

2. #252 Re: What have you done with your marlin today 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member
    I thought I had replied to this but it seems to have dissapeared, so. Not silly . If you have paid tax on it and you want to go tax free first you need to cancel your paid tax (sorn) eventually you get a refund. The tax is only refunded on complete months. Then you take the V5 to the PO and change the tax class to Historic and they will tax it FOC. You may or may not need Insurance and MOT although it will be mot free as well. If on the other hand the car has been off the road before sorn came in then probably you won't have to sorn it first. I sorned mine on the 31st of March and taxed it on 1st of April.

3. #253 Re: What have you done with your marlin today 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member listerjp2's Avatar
    Cheers

Adrian

4. #254 Re: What have you done with your marlin today 
    Happy to help. Anything to cut the cost of motoring.

5. #255 Re: What have you done with your marlin today 
    Club Member
    Took the Roadster out on the St Ives to St Just road in lovely weather. Last minute decision to refuel in Penzance, and pulled up behind a Cabrio belonging to Paul McGrath (hope I remembered the name correctly).

6. #256 Re: What have you done with your marlin today 
    Petermarlin, Good time to fill up, with petrol around£1.10/Ltr. Lucky sod, we were going to be coming down for the Landrover Ser1 meeting at Stithians at the end of June, canceled now. I bet it is lovely!
    My Roadster is in bits after I decided to sort out the rattling clutch release bearing. Up went the car, down came the engine and gearbox on to a trolley, quick pull then go back and disconnect the speedo cable! Take the gearbox off and find out that the release bearing was perfect and the cause of the rattle was one of the many clutch fingers was bent and seemed to contact the bearing. Then recon the slave cylinder after fighting to get the hose off then fitting a new one. All sorted and back together in the car and it only took a month, well I don't like rushing. Moved the extension gear lever forward a few inches. Then, out came the dash to replace the two clock dash with a four clock. Guess what? The looms are different the plugs are different and the speedo fitting is different! Changed the speedo and the two clock front face. The original wiring does not fully match Haynes diagram and neither does the new dash plug, so it is a wire by wire test after first checking that all the wires on the new plug worked something and what it was. I have put in a new lead for the tacho. Now I'm off to do a bit more, hot sun removes motivation! Oh, when I refitted the carbs the engine doesn't want to tick over, just run fast. That can wait. Mustn't forget to put the prop shaft back on! Bye for now. Just noticed thread is 'What did you do today'. Nothing yet.
    Last edited by HairyDave; 31-05-2020 at 01:40 PM.

7. #257 Re: What have you done with your marlin today 
    Car back on the road today. Quick trip along the Morridge, Nr Leek. Saw several old cars and one kit while we were out. Making the most of the weather before it breaks.

8. #258 Re: What have you done with your marlin today 
    Good news Liz, well done.

Rgds to both DC

9. #259 Re: What have you done with your marlin today 
    Moderator Club Member
    Been using it most days , just me and the dog, finding new walks away from the crowds. Did have a run out with the better half [yes , I sometimes take her out!] Out thro' Ashbourne, Kedleston etc at the weekend.

10. #260 Re: What have you done with your marlin today 
    regular forum contributor Club Member philmcgrath's Avatar
    It was good to meet you too, Peter. It’s Phil by the way.

Two Marlins on the same petrol forecourt together must be unusual. I had been for a blat through Helston, up to Redruth, along the A30 to Penzance then back home.

Yesterday my wife Deb and I drove to St Agnes for a long walk along the coast path then Deb drove home. A beautiful day for a 60 mile round trip.