This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What have you done with your marlin today

Since fitting the EPAS system to the Cabrio I was not 100% happy with the steering wheel position, so I made some slight adjustments to the columns mounts and it loks and feels alot better.
    Also cleaned and polished the rear suspension wishbones and the chassis. And a treat for the Cabrio for christmas I ordered some new 17" alloy wheels and hopefully Mrs Cabriobob will buy the tyres !!!!(I havent told her about the wheels yet as she will go apeshit so I have to keep the car covered up for a while)

Comment

I adapted my speedo cable.

When I got my Dolomite gearbox with overdrive, fortunately there was the remains of the speedo cable attached. The inner was missing so was the connection to the speedo head but the bottom, gearbox end was OK. Among the goodies in my box was a complete Marina speedo cable.

I had to get from a Dolomite gearbox screw-on angle drive connection to the Marina plastic clip on to the Marina speedo head.

Using my hot knife 1mm angle grinder cutting blade, I sliced the Triumph to just eliminate a damaged section then cut the Marina outer so that together they were the same length to suit the Marina inner. I found some 10mm copper tube from the scrap pile, together with some heat shrink and an M10 nut which I sliced in half across the corners.

I cut and trimmed the 10mm pipe to about 4" long, de-burred and slightly belled the ends by running the chuck key handle around the ends. I cut the heat shrink so I had two short pieces, and two long pieces, enough to cover the entire joint. I inserted one piece of the outer about half way into the copper tube, slid one of the short pieces of heat shrink on and shrunk it to retain the copper sleeve on the outer, then I slid all the other pieces of sleeving onto the other section of outer, slid the outer into the copper sleeve.Then I took the two half nuts put them either side of the copper tube about an inch from the end, and pressed them together in the vice, which crimped the copper tube securely onto the outer, repeated at the other end then sealed the entire joint with the remaining two pieced of heat shrink, on over the other for added protection.

Fitted to the car perfectly, just needs a couple of tie-wraps to hold it in place.

Speedo Cable.jpg

Comment

No more iffy clutch cables.
        Fitted Type 9 gearbox after converting to concentric clutch slave cylinder, fitted propshaft, pop it into gear, pressed clutch pedal, perfect! Anyone need a Ford sierra clutch cable.

Comment

Hi phil I could do with your old clutch cable for my project I am fitting a zetec and type 9 gearbox in my roadster not sure how i am going to fit it to my marina pedal box but I am sure I will be able to adapt the cable or the pedal so it will fit.

Thanks Angus

Comment

Angus

You need a Capri clutch cable that has an adjuster for the bell housing end and the pedal end of the cable you need a eyelet (not a ball end), Then you get a bolt and weld to the top of your pedal with the theads sticking up the way, then you need a clevis to match the the welded bolt thread (8mm). Screw the clevis on to the bolt, make sure the clevis hole is inline with the bulkhead hole. then you need to make a stepped spacer tube to go through the bulkhead to hold the outer of the clutch cable and to stop it pulling through the bulkhead.
            Fit the cable to the pedal clevis with a pin/bolt and fit the cable to the clutch fork and adjust as need. you may need to get a extra nut for the clutch adjuster, but if you cut a slot out of the nut to fit over the inner cable so you then can screw on to the threaded adjuster to help hold the cable to both sides of the hole in the bell housing.

Comment

Hi bob
              Thanks for your reply is this the clutch cable you mean item no 160921723940 on eBay and have you got any pictures of the set up you describe.
              Many thanks Angus

Comment

Angus

Yes thats the type, but they different lengths, I think you need one that 1.2 -1.4 meters as the std one is 800mm long (outer cable) but is to short. I got mine from a ford rally supplier in the midlands but carnt remember to name, RS RALLY PART OR DESIGN I think.I have rechecked and the cable you have 160921723940 should be ok as long its 110cm long on the outer cable, give Burton power a ring as they are very helpfull.
                Last edited by CABRIOBOB; 09-12-12, 09:57 PM.

Comment

Is this a wind up or did you really polish the chassis God forbid?

Comment

Originally posted by dogoncrazy View Post
                    Is this a wind up or did you really polish the chassis God forbid?
                    Yes and I used a spray glass polish, so when I drive over these boy racers they can see what a real car looks like under the bonnet. I cleaned and polished the brake calipers today so they look the part behind my new wheels when they get fitted.

Comment

Originally posted by CABRIOBOB View Post
                      Since fitting the EPAS system to the Cabrio I was not 100% happy with the steering wheel position, so I made some slight adjustments to the columns mounts and it loks and feels alot better.
                      Also cleaned and polished the rear suspension wishbones and the chassis. And a treat for the Cabrio for christmas I ordered some new 17" alloy wheels and hopefully Mrs Cabriobob will buy the tyres !!!!(I havent told her about the wheels yet as she will go apeshit so I have to keep the car covered up for a while)
                      !7" wheels are going to be a bit obvious, aren't they Bob - even to a disinterested better half? How bad is her fury?
                      What rim did you choose?

Comment

Mike

To the other half wheels are round things with black rings on them. she will only find out if looks at the bank statement and I dont think that will hapen as I do internet banking and she does not.Its what you call being in control..... I think !!!!! and no complaints yet.

Comment

Hi Alan what is wrong with polishing your chassis and brakes calipers, I have spent many hour polishing mine, its just a shame my car is safe warm and dry in its carcoon.....LOL how are you doing old chumb, is the Cabrio keeping well ??

Comment

Hi Lee
                            Cabrio's fine, took a trip to see David Billings[Doug and liz's son] about making me a bracket for the towbar I got from Bryan Newall. Looking at the possibility of a Folding camper so I can do more of the 'runs' next year . Put it back in a freezing cold garage covered in sh--. can hardly move in there to do much anyway as most of available space is taken up with model racing yacht I'm building. Looking forward to a couple of weeks in St. Lucia end of Feb to warm my old bones. Shame the Marlin is't going too!!! Merry Christmas to you all.

Comment

I got my new wheels and tyres today and have fitted them.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Just drove to work, 40 miles across Dorset, roof off and a tropical -1deg C when I left the house.

Nice wheels cabriobob

Comment

Working...
                                X