Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: a french marlin owner needs your help

Hi Philippe,

I have done major mods on my Marlin, to get a bit more leg length you could consider spacing the pedal box an
    inch (2.5cm?) forward on longer bolts or bending the pedal arms, also there is room to cut the floor back a bit behind the seat, say another 5cm? That's 7.5cm, would that help?

Some master cylinders are different, some have a larger mounting flange.

You mentioned coming over to London over Christmas, I have some Marina suspension parts, some new, which might be some use to you, are you travelling by car or by air? They are not light!

Comment

Hi Phillippe, Back to the calipers!
      Have you removed the pistons yet?

If they are in good condition then all you need is the service kit that has the piston seal and dust boot. Replacement pistons are also available.
      It is not recommended to split the calipers but as you have already done that you should consider replacing the little "bridge seal" O ring which can be supplied by TD Fitchett Ltd Tel UK 01952 619585 They also stock the service kit but you will need to check which caliper you have (Type 12 or Type 14).
      Then refer to Roberts torque figure chart for the bolts and you should OK.
      Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

All Marina/Itals with front disc brakes have Girling Type 14 Mk3 Calipers. with 48mm diameter pistons.

Original BL Part numbers:
        Left Hand Caliper 37H 6125
        Right Hand Caliper 37H 6126
        Repair kit is 18G 8792

Identical Triumph Part Numbers
        Left Hand Caliper 159137
        Right Hand Caliper 159136
        Repair kit is 520957

Standard pistons 516212

All these parts are used on several Triumph cars especially the Triumph Dolomite 1300/1500 (Not Sprint) and are listed here http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk

I guess that http://www.triumphclubdefrance.com/ will know where to buy these parts in France

Girling Type 14 Mk3
        MOC member since 05/97
        1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
        1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
        Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Further on your seat problem, this pic is from David Martin, showing his method to obtain more leg room.

I used this pic in the Dec2011 Pitstop magazine so I am sure David will not mind me putting it up here.

If he does not respond on this thread you can always contact him via the club's Membership Secretary.

Rgds DC
          Attached Files
          Last edited by dcunn; 04-12-12, 12:18 AM.

Comment

Regarding the seat problem my son is 6'3" and I am only 5'9" we get round the problem of him being too tall for the car (it's not me being too short!) by putting a smaller steering wheel on the car when he drives it.
            Last edited by mark westbrookwhite; 04-12-12, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Hi,

Thank you for your ideas to enlarge legroom
              I think I'll try to modify the space around the feet in order to push the pedals
              Remove the back part of the seat does not seem aesthetics on a so beautiful car
              I’ll let you know if I succeed in this modification
              i'll have to modify there :
              Marlin 2012 11 20 arrivée à Béziers (23).JPG

Comment

please ring 01524 751727 Uk no I think I can help
                Freddy

Comment

hi all

to fred : thanks for your proposal but my english is not good enough for a phone call
                  to robert : 1'll use the two ideas to have a longer space for my legs

I Have now to order car parts, if possible to pick them up in london next week (i'll be in plane with ryanair, so i have to be careful wiht the weight)

-front callipers (2)
                  -rear brake cylinders (2)

rear hub bearing x2 (number 10 on the photo)
                  -marlin 001.JPG
                  -timing belt for the 1.7engine
                  marlin 003.jpg

is there anybody to help me to order the parts (or give me their exact name and reference)
                  sory to ask that but as this car was not imported in France, i don't find anything
                  anyway i wish you good end of year celebrations.

Comment

A pair of calipers will be 6.32Kg
                    I guess all the other parts will be another 2Kg.
                    Easyjet are better. Just a size limit and provided you ca lift it!
                    MOC member since 05/97
                    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Comment

Pas de problem ma femme peux peu parler francaise. Si vous avez besoin de quelquechose, peut-etre je peux vous apporter. j'ai un livre de cette voiture et je l' apporterai en avril, quand je reournerai en France.
                      A bientot,
                      Cynthia ( de la part de Freddy)

Comment

hi everyone,

just back from London...
                        It's almays the same pleasure to be in great britain. the english ways of life is for me very pleasant. you're lucky. My child begin to speak englih better than me (especially in pubs, when we have to order....)
                        In Old Bond Street, my son Adrien propose "fire" to a man for his cigarette.
                        this man was the owner of the Lamborghini Gallardo we were looking at.....he offered my sons to sit down in the lambo......exceptionnel kindness...
                        I found "kit car magazine" (it seemed not so easy to find) and now, i'm happy to improve my english, readind buiding cars pages, with a good old red wine.....what could be better in this last day of the year ?
                        I wish you happy new year eve, and thanks you for your help.
                        Many good trips next year, with lot of sun and fun in your Marlin

Comment

Happy new year to you and your family!!!
                          If we don't get some good weather this year I propose that we have a club event to come down to see you and give you a hand with your car out in the sunshine.

Cheers.

Mark.

Comment

Hmmm Interesting idea especially as I knew the area well in times past. About an 11 Hour drive from Calais provided you keep the speed up as its over 1000km. Ignore the petrol cost but add about 70 Euro for the tolls. Then you have to do it again to get home.
                            Good fun to be had driving over and under the Millau viaduct.

or for a web cam
                            Viewsurf, leader européen de la webcam HD touristique live et différée, avec plus de 1200 Vues en France, Paris, Biarritz, Val d'Isère, Quiksilver, Nantes, Bordeaux, Marseille...

Or you could catch the TGV..... There used to be a Motorail from Calais but it only goes from Paris to Narbonne a few km SW of Beziers.
                            Last edited by stevejgreen; 02-01-13, 07:30 PM. Reason: Link added
                            MOC member since 05/97

Comment

no way am i going over that bridge!!!

Comment

Originally posted by cameronfurnival View Post
                                no way am i going over that bridge!!!
                                ............that's exactly what I do want to do when I finally get on to the roads! - open top motoring at its very best.

Comment

Working...
                                X