X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tyre & Wheel sizes

Hi Mike
    Going back a bit now!!
    With your BK550's was there any issues with hub centre fitment (presumably you have Sierra Hubs?)
    Regards
    Bryan
    Stapley Bryan

Comment

Originally posted by bryannewell View Post
      Hi Mike
      Going back a bit now!!
      With your BK550's was there any issues with hub centre fitment (presumably you have Sierra Hubs?)
      Regards
      Bryan
      Hi Bryan

There was no issue, but they required hub centric spigot rings - they have a larger hub hole 73mm, than the Sierra hub at 63.4mm. BK sell the 73/63.4 spigot rings, and they are not expensive.

If you are considering the BK550s ensure you calculate the final offset you require.
      I chose 7" rims, which is pushing the limit of the wings. I calculated I needed an offset of 28mm, but could only buy a 38mm offset so had to have 10mm hub centric spacers at the rear to clear the chassis (good ones are not cheap - Eibach or H&R cost £100/pair!)
      I'm hoping not to need them at the front, but until I set the camber up correctly will not know for sure!

If you would like more information ping me a PM and I'll forward my phone number.

Also if you are interested in buying a set, be sure to shop around, as I found a huge variation in price, and even ended up buying mine via BKRacing's ebay site at around £100 cheaper than from their own web site - quite mad, but they reckon they have to be cheaper on ebay to compete!
      I bought a set of 5 off 16" x 7J alloys, 5 spigot rings, 16 special nuts, 4 special locking nuts and key, plus carriage, for £345 inc vat which I thought was very good value.

PS
      I've just had a look on ebay, and there is a 17" version which I know you were interested in.

Mike
      Last edited by Mike; 18-04-13, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Hi All,
        Being a man of pictures I find this site very explanatory: http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp
        Particularly as it graphically shows offset.

Hope it helps
        Brian

Learning more about:
        June '73 Marina based Mk2 Roadster
        1800 TC; 4 speed gearbox; 4.55:1 differential with 4.5pcd (the rare one!)

Another interest -www.somersetschoolsathletics.org.uk
        And another - 'Tractor Doctors' skittle team

Comment

Hi Mike
          Yes I ended up with BK Racing's ebay site as it is the cheapest I have found
          The price they quote includes the "fitting kit" sall good there
          et38 is the only offset I can get too,I am running et28 with 205 tyre width at the mo so looking to stay with 205 and this will move everything inboard by 10mm which will inprove things as tyres are outside the running board now
          I don't see a problem at the front but will have to check the clearance at the back,I see you went with 215 width so I may get away without spacers hopefully!!!
          Thanks for the link Brian
          Cheers gents
          Bryan
          Stapley Bryan

Comment

Hi folks
            Just like to post this link to bring it forward from an earlier set of posts which I found realy usefull as when puting in data such as existing tyre wheel combo's then your wishlist it calculates the differences in rolling circumference,speedo readings,offsets etc for you.

Cheers
            Bryan
            Stapley Bryan

Comment

Originally posted by Skittler View Post
              Hi All,
              Being a man of pictures I find this site very explanatory: http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp
              Particularly as it graphically shows offset.

Hope it helps
              This is a really good site - I wish I had known about it when planning my offsets and rolling diameters- it took me ages to make my own sketches for comparison!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                This is a really good site - I wish I had known about it when planning my offsets and rolling diameters- it took me ages to make my own sketches for comparison!
                Again with this site, pictures help - http://vexer.com/automotive-tools/speed-rpm-calculator
                Brian

Learning more about:
                June '73 Marina based Mk2 Roadster
                1800 TC; 4 speed gearbox; 4.55:1 differential with 4.5pcd (the rare one!)

Another interest -www.somersetschoolsathletics.org.uk
                And another - 'Tractor Doctors' skittle team

Comment

I fitted a set of Monza R 7J-17" ET38 with nuts,hub collers from Rimstock including post £330.I was getting prices up to £650 from other suppliers + tyres.
                  I have fitted 205x50x17 tyres, and dont need any spacers as wheels/tyres are fluss with edge of the wings.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Bob you have forgotten to put your front tyre on no wonder your car is slow

Comment

Lee / Bob
                      Can I ask what brand of tyre you guys went with please
                      I hoping to go to 55 profile on the 17" rims but options seem to be a bit limited (is that why you guys went for 50 profile?)
                      I have found one good priced package but that comes with Nankang tyres,don't know much about them?
                      Tyre review sites give them a reasonable write up but a couple of the forums seem to knock them quite badly(maybe this is just the boy racer brigade!!)
                      Any thoughts please
                      Regards
                      Bryan

Stapley Bryan

Comment

Hi Bryan, I use budget to mid range tyres, and I will tell you why, for what I use the car less than 1000 miles per year they will of gone hard and lost there elasticity by they were out. Never drive it in the wet and if I do drive like captain slow. And also price too, if they have passed all the test laws and are aloud to be sold then in the uk they will be fine for what I want them for.
                        Size is 205/50/17. Run them at 20psi
                        Are you coming to stoneleigh ?

Comment

Hi Lee
                          Thanks for that
                          Pretty much my thoughts but always good to know other are of the same mind
                          Probably not going to get to Stoneleigh this year!
                          Hope the weather is kind for you all there
                          Cheers
                          Bryan
                          Stapley Bryan

Comment

Bryan, I looked at several tyre spec forums and even poeple complained of Goodyear, Michalin and other major brands, so I went for Infinity INF-05 205/50/17 tryes and cost fitted/balanced £160 for all four, as my local tyre garage sell alot of them and no problems. Same as Lee comments due to low usage will last for ever.
                            The Nankangs are ok as I have used them on my old Roadster (195/70/15)

Comment

Thanks Bob
                              Looks like Budget / Mid range is the way to go
                              Cheers
                              Bryan
                              Stapley Bryan

Comment

I have 4 - 205/55 x 17 Dunlpos here in France bought for another project, but never used - if any interest I'll get all details as in roof of my garage , will be Mon now as out all day!
                                Probable return west mids in late may/june!

Comment

Working...
                                X