Clutch cable fitting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch cable fitting

Clutch cable snapped the other day (see "What I did with my Marlin") - I 've ordered a new one -hopefully it wil arrive soon. Although the car is Sierra base it's been fitted with a kit to remove the automatic clutch cable adjuster. It uses a Mk 3 or 4 Cortina cable. The clutch end passes through a boss on the bell housing and into the clutch lever.

The question I have is this - The outer cable has 2 nuts on a threaded bit to adjust the length, when I got the car these were both locked against each other with the remaining threaded bit loose in the boss, alteratively I could fit it with a nut on either side of the boss.

Which is the correct way?

Thanks Nick Tinsdeall

Re: Clutch cable fitting

Hi Nick mine has one nut each side of the guide hole in the bell housing

Comment

Nick

The cable goes through the hole in the bell housing and the 2 nuts are on the engine side of the hole. What you can doe is get another nut (10mm) the same thread as the cable and it wont fit over the inner cables ball end, so you cut a slot in the nut so it fits over the inner cable then you can slide on to the threaded part of the outer cable to stop the cable flopping about. If unclear give me a pm with your tele number and I will ring you.

Comment

Hi Nick, The usuual method is to lock the nuts up this stops one nut turning and messing up the clearance / adjustement. You should be able to pull the cable back away from the locating hole , but the free play should be measured at the pedal approx 27mm 31mm.

Comment

What Danny says. I use just the two nuts, engine side. The Cortina manual gives the free movement of the pedal as above. I have found that the clutch/brake pedal bushes get a little worn so I measure the amount I can pull the cable out from the housing as about 5mm. If the bite point is not to your liking then you can change this measurement slightly to suit. I have a Pinto and T9 rig with the bell housing and clutch release lever froma Cortina. It all seems to work very well.
          Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Working...
          X