Roadster exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roadster exhaust

Well the last bit of work I "need" to do is sort out an exhaust, the exhaust that's fitted is far too noisy and leave the ears ringing within minutes, it looks like a standard TC or MGB downpipe with a double swept bend ( Mild steel and a tad rotten ) comes under the chassis to a "cherry bomb " type silencer ( Wrong name altogether ) about 18" x 3" under the running board affair. Have any of you folks got a better idea or know of a better silencer. I have some kit in mind but someone on here may have solved this problem ?

Harry.

Re: Roadster exhaust

When I had a similar problem I bought a universal silencer from Demon Tweaks - it was made from heavy gauge stainless and still looks bright and shiny. They come in a variety of sizes (both round and oval crossection). I would suggest fit as large a silencer as you can !

Regards

Nick Tinsdeall

Comment

i i used a std mgb downpipe and ran the exhaust under the car over the rear axle using std marina exhaust then a cherry bomb exiting out the back . noise now out of back instead of in your ears.

Comment

Thank's for that, I have been measuring up for the same, but I thought it might be a tad low and may catch the likes of road humps etc ? I may go that way though ??

Comment

If you dochange your exhaust, the curly pipe from manifold to over the chassis might have a value. Personally with some of the brake testers (speed humps) around me, ground clearance is important.

Comment

When I first built my car the end of the manifold cracked twice within a year due to the rotating effect of "gunning" the engine, eg when you drop from 5th to 3rd to overtake something. Even starting the engine causes a twisting kick. I solved it by having a 6" length of flexible stainless welded to the bottom of the manifold. It was not inexpensive but solved the problem. Ground clearance is a serious issue and it meant I could still bring the exhaust out of the side of the engine bay to a silencer mounted under the passenger side running board.

Comment

Thank's for the reply, I am thinking in that direction, I am pricing up a 5" x 18" stainless silencer with a flexible welded to it, I might go the whole hog and get the down pipe replaced too ?

Regards.

Comment

Keith, just done almost the same on my roadster a couple of weeks back. My manifold broke up so located replacement then used the top section of the downpipe and fitted stainless flex from there then over the chassis and into a stainless oval box. All works fine and not too noisey either. Regards Chris

Comment

Working...
                X