Clear All

Re: Sierra Hub - wheel bearing play

Did this get sorted?

Comment

Originally posted by dogoncrazy View Post
      Did this get sorted?
      No, not yet.....
      I borrowed a 400Nm torque wrench with a 4 foot long handle and that made no difference.
      I then got my son to check them on the car (he had just been on his MOT testers training course!) and he said he would fail them. But he did notice that the play is in the vertical plane and none in the horizontal plane, suggesting that the hub bearing casting is oval.
      I stripped one down completely and checked that the inner bearing cages are tight but free to move on the hub shaft and the nut is not bottoming out on the hubshaft thread. I then completely replace the bearings with a new set from a different manufacturer taking extra care that the bearing shells were pressed in parallel with the casting and fully home.
      And guess what.... exactly the same symptoms as before I started!

My conclusion is that the hubs have suffered from accident damage before the car was built as described in this article....

AGCO provides overall lowest costs of vehicle ownership. We do this by providing extremely high quality automotive service, following the theories and practices of Dr. W. Edwards Deming., Why wheel bearings fail

So I'm on the look out for a 'new' pair of front hubs and knuckles

Comment

Originally posted by Peterx View Post
        I have replaced the bearings in my front hubs which are from a 1992 Sierra Sapphire donor.
        I used a good quality aftermarket supplier and the new bearings seemed to be identical to the ones I removed.(diameter and depth of bearing shells)
        I have tightened the hub nuts to the specified torque but I still have noticeable play in the bearings. (Each hub has a pair of tapered roller bearings)
        When rocking the wheel, I'm getting about 2-3mm play at the edge of the tyre.

What have I done wrong or is this normal on the Ford Sierra hubs?? The bearings were changed on the bench and everything was meticulously cleaned.

thanks for any ideas or suggestions.... (at the price of new bearings I don't really want to try fitting another set without understanding the root cause)

Has anyone else experienced the same type of issue?

...peter
        I know that this is an ancient thread but just for the record there may be two thicknesses available for these bearings. You may have fitted the slightly wider ones which would give you the excessive clearance when torqued up. Peter.

Comment

Working...
        X