Rust-Oleum Paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rust-Oleum Paint

Wow I took my lead from Robert and thought I would give the Rust-Oleum paint a test.

002.jpg

Smooth as a babies bottom and a gloss on it that looks like a mirror.

Robert, what a find and I can definately recommend the stuff.

All I did was degrease, hand paint the Adhesion Primer and top coat.

No rubbing down!

Once again Robert I thank you for this fantastic tip.

Adrian

Re: Rust-Oleum Paint

Looks great Adrian! My standards slipped a bit, I wasn't as careful as I should have been with cleaning some of the panels and dust has left a rather blemished finish but I think I will rub them down with very fine paper at a later stage and re-coat. One tip is to warm the paint in hot (not boiling) water prior to use. That helps it flow and set quicker which helps avoid settled dust, which is always a problem with slower drying paints. The cool winter weather doesn't help either.

I am pleased it's proved worthwhile.

Is this one of the original Marlin headlamp shells? The attachment bolt looks like M10, or is it M12? Hard to tell from pic.

Comment

Hi Robert

They are original and NEW!!

When I bought the rolling kit everything was all in boxes and even the cellotape was still on them.

Included under the new banner was;
      5x Cosmic Ribster Wheels (no tyres ever fitted)
      Double Duck Hood and tonnou
      Rear Lights
      Chromed Lamp Bar
      Front Indicators
      All body Panels (In original factory White, no holes drilled in them)
      Black covered Sets
      Dashboard Blank
      Full set of VDO Dials with instructions (in boxes obviously)
      Grill Wires
      Ali Heater box
      Electric Fan
      Floorboards
      Spare wheel holder
      Full set of spax shocks
      Windscreen glass
      Door handles
      Momo Steering wheel
      Handbrake Kit
      Numerouse bits and bob's
      Hood Frame

and lastly an Aston Martin Fuel Cap (chromed)

I consider myself very lucky to find such a comprehensive kit and all for just £650.

Adrian

Comment

Wow, that must have been fun, makes my boxes of bits sound like a junkyard find.

I have an Alvis 'Monza' fuel cap, which will find it's way onto the Marlin - eventually. I had two, gave one to somebody? Possibly on one of my Mini's...

Comment

Hiya Robert

Well whatever happens this is what is going on my paintwork, its so easy.

Adrian

Comment

I used small (4") foam rollers for the main panels, it leaves a slight orange peel at first but that smooths out to leave a nice finish. I leave the panels for about an hour, then whack another coat on which gives it loads of body. This isn't the weather unless you can do it in the warm, indoors. I don't think I have a single run, although I ladled it on in places. The only prep was a small 1/4 sheet sander with a bit of 80 Grit resin bonded belt, torn off a 610mm x 100mm sanding belt. I can still see the minor swirl sanding marks on the bonnet but that was really bad.

Really pleased it's working for you. I was most impressed.

Comment

That with a brush Adrian? wow. How about putting it onto grp does it need the surface preparing first?

ok - got it...http://www.rawlinspaints.com/p25/Rus...duct_info.html
              Last edited by cameronfurnival; 23-01-13, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Hiya

It only needs the Adhesion Primer for Ali, GRP, Glass and bobs you uncle.

Yes it was with a brush, its really good, you brush it on and it has loads of brush marks, you then wait and there you go - Gloss.

Adrian

Comment

Has someone actually done a complete car???? Can i see any pics.

Comment

Hiya

Look at Roberts thread you will see all the panels painted up.

I'm looking at trying it with a spray can next, will let you know the results.

I'm next.

Adrian

Comment

Hi

Tried looking for all of the panel pics but couldn't find them? Tried clicking on the thread but only 3 pics I could see and they weren't panel pics. What am I doing wrong?

Regards

Dan Cook

Comment

They start at this post...

There are some more on the next page, and on the final pages, here:

There are more scattered in the latter half of the thread.

I managed to scrape the front of the back n/s wing on the trailer when I was loading it in the dark before the MOT, it hasn't flaked the paint off, just scraped it, it will probably be Ok with a rub over with a rag and perhaps a dab of paint. I expect it will get many more scrapes while I am using it. The adhesion qualities will be well tested!

Comment

Thanks Robert

Well done, I can only echo what others have said about bringing this car back to life! Thanks for pointing me to the photos.

Regards

Dan Cook

Comment

Thanks Dan, the thread is so long it could do with an index! Glad you found the pix. I also noticed it's just gone over 10,000 views, that is amazing.

Comment

Has anyone else tried this paint... looks too good to be true!
                              Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Working...
                              X