Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reaction Lever

Hi all

I was just waterproofing the cockpit with some mastic and noticed that the Torsion Bar, where it connects at the back end with the Reaction Lever, has a hole either side in the chassis. It looks like it is meant to be there but surely when driving in rain, water would enter the cockpit?

Any ideas, if any of you can remember that long ago.

Adrian

Re: Reaction Lever

Are you talking about the hole for the Lock Bolt shown in this?

Without the Lock Bolt, the reaction lever will chatter around causing a lot of rattles.

Comment

Hi Steve

No the 20mm (approx) hole where the Torsion Bar pokes through into the cockpit.

I will try and post a picture later.

Adrian

Comment

Sounds like the original builder might have fitted the front suspension without the torsion bar, and then drilled the hole to allow the torsion bar to be threaded through, without dismantling the lower arm.
        Is/was the circlip fitted on the end of the torsion bar?

That, unless it's a variation on a Roadster Chassis.

Can't think it has any other purpose, other than to let water into the box section.

Comment

Mmm

You could be right but the Torsion Bar sticks into the cockpit but about 2 mm and I cant seem to move it any further forward even after undoing the lower arm and trying to reposition it., strang.

Adrian

Comment

Hmmm...sounds just like mine..! Like that from new.
            Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
            Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Hiya

What did you do to cover it up so that it was waterproof>

Adrian

Comment

http://www.marlinownersclub.com/foru...ilies/wink.png ... I didn't...never worried about it, but then I don't generally go out in really wet weather. Even so I've never noticed any serious aqueous ingress (well, not there anyway).
                Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
                Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

If it's a nice round hole, what about an electricians blanking plug, like a grommet but without the hole. They are usually 22mm but they can usually be persuaded into smaller holes, either a little heat like a warm air gun or a little lube, grease or the like.

I am having great difficulty visualising this hole, I don't quite understand it. I thought the reaction lever bolted through solid angle or plate, under the front of the bulkhead, behind the pedals, not through a box section?

Comment

I just dug out some pix I took of mine, OK the newness has gone but it does give an idea of the layout.

I still can't understand where the 20mm hole would be?

Image 3074
                    Torque reaction lever n:s.jpg

Image 3075

I don't seem to be able to get rid of the wrong image??? Done it!!!
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Robert in Cumbria; 05-02-13, 08:41 AM. Reason: To substitute image annotation error.

Comment

Hi Robert

If you took a line through the torsion bar into the cockpit the 20mm hole to allow the extra 2mm woul be behind the end of the Torsion bar.

Taking your picture of the cockpit the hole would be to the right of bolt.

Adrian

Comment

I got it slightly wrong, the arrowed bolt is the locking bolt inboard of the torsion bar centre. Is the torque reaction member/bracket a hollow section on your car? On mine it's folded 3mm sheet in a Z section with reinforcing. There should be a nut screwed onto the end of the torsion bar, similar to the one I have arrowed on the third picture. I will correct the annotation. If that is the case is the hole not to access the nut to secure the torsion bar?

Comment

Hi Robert

Below is a picture of the inside of the drivers cockpit.

The offending item is right of the bolt. this is where the end of the torsion bar goes through the hole.

001.jpg

I hope this helps to explain myself.

Adrian

Comment

I'm going have to double check mine. Can't find anything in my pictures. Will have to have a good feel around my footwell, dont want to start un-sticking my carpets though.
                            I have to say though that I don't remember a hole on my chassis, I could be wrong though, it was 5+ years since since I last had the front suspension apart.

Comment

So it looks like that is hollow section that the torsion bar mounts to. I understand better now thank you but is what I see to the right of the bolt head the end of the torsion bar, or a blanking plug? It appears to have a turned centre and possibly a circlip?

So where is the open hole?

Or, are you concerned about ingress of water around the end of what appears to be the end of the torsion bar?

If so I doubt much would get in there, but perhaps a small bottle lit suitably trimmed and filled with silicone sealer pressed onto the end of the torsion bar would seal it and cope with any flexing of the bar end. The silicone will set and stick, yet remain flexible, alternatively a blob of silicone on the torsion bar end followed by a small sheet of clingfilm or aluminium baking foil so you can press it flat without getting it on everything, can work well.
                              Last edited by Robert in Cumbria; 05-02-13, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X