Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coil over bush.

Hello to all,

I have a problem with a lower "Coil Over Bush" it has become seized to the pivot bolt.
    The pivot bolt is 1/2 in unf x 21/2 in long according to the manual.
    How should I set about fixing this bush?
    The "Coil Over Shocker" is an "AVO" serial number G4 974.
    Any help given by the community is most welcome.

Mick.
    Last edited by Mickaleen; 13-02-13, 11:23 AM.

Re: Coil over bush.

What have you tried in order to release the bolt? Soak in penetrating oil[plus gas or similair] for day or two, slack off nut a couple of turns but leave threaded on bolt ,drive out with hammer and if that fails apply heat with gas blowlamp , although you risk damaging bush with this method. Stick with it it'll go!

Comment

The usual problem is that there have been ingress of salt water between the bolt and the inner sleeve of the bush, which is why copious amounts of copper ease should be used during assembly no matter how nice it looks assembling new components, use on the road soon finds ways of seizing things up.

If the above suggestions fail, I would cut the HEAD off the bolt and as much of the shank as possible, then grease the nut on the bolt and tighten it in an attempt to pull the shank right through the sleeve. May need assistance from more plus gas, heat and a big hammer to persuade it to move. Once moving it should be easy enough to remove completely. Good luck!

Comment

Hi,

Thank you both for your suggestions.
        I did spray WD40, as best I could, into the bush which wasn't easy because of the lack of space.
        I slackened off the locknut a little at a tme and using a lump hammer at each stage to help release the pivot bolt.
        Unfortunately I ended up putting a slight bend in the bracket under the head of the bolt, which I managed to correct, but the rubber bush together with the inner sleeve would move out of the Coil Over Shocker with the pivot bolt still attached to the sleeve.
        I think I might have to cut the pivot bolt out and remove the Coil Over Shocker and then try and remove the remaining part of the pivot bolt on the work bench.
        I would then have to obtain a new pivot bolt.

Mick.
        Last edited by Mickaleen; 15-02-13, 11:11 AM.

Comment

IMHO as mentioned before PlusGas is the Bees Knees at penetrating/dismantling. WD40 comes a distant third place though there are other 'real' penetrating fluids available

Failing that, try GT85

Comment

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
            IMHO as mentioned before PlusGas is the Bees Knees at penetrating/dismantling. WD40 comes a distant third place though there are other 'real' penetrating fluids available

Failing that, try GT85
            http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...gt85-1ltr-pump
            Hi,

Thank you for the links.
            I have been working on it again today but without either of those products I think I am wasting my time.
            I have also been checking the top A frame arm bushes and these are fine.
            I will have to do some shopping and strip all of the front end and start a fresh, greasing using Copper Grease etc..
            I am very grateful to all for the help given.

Mick.
            Last edited by Mickaleen; 16-02-13, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Hi,

I removed the upper arm and mounted it in a vice, should have thought to have done that earlier.
              Working on the pivot using releasing agent and a lump hammer I managed to get the pivot bolt out.
              I have cleaned all the relavant parts and all I need to do now is repaint the brackets and assemble using "Copper Ease".
              While I am at it I will sevice the other side as the car is on axle stands.

Mick.

Comment

Working...
              X