why did you buy a marlin ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: why did you buy a marlin ?

I like all cars for various reasons, I have a life long want of a great British sports car, but prices have become silly, I have always liked old cars as a person can keep them on the road so cheaply apart from petrol consumption as long as the body holds out, it's difficult to ever compare any old car ( none ECU, electronic ignition, fuel injection) with a new motor, modern car's are fantastic but I know this much, I could spend £70,000 on a new BMW, drive it round town and hardly anyone would notice it, do the same thing in a old red Marlin roadster, and people wave, children point, and most men wonder what it is and take a little notice, some would like one ( For the odd summer day at least) The Marlin to me represents a bit of cheap fun, the sort of fun I had with my cars 20 - 30 years back, and I like the old B series engine, I like the simplicity of the whole car, apart from making it a little more reliable, I have no wish to change a thing about it, If I want to make it more powerful, more refined, improve the handling etc, then I might as well buy a nice 3 series BMW ( Cheap now too considering what you get for your money) The old Marlin roadster for me represents a fun time from a simpler era, the halcyon days of motoring when if one broke down, you had folks inquiring whether you need help, now you get two fingers !

Comment

Originally posted by Harry View Post
      if one broke down, you had folks inquiring whether you need help, now you get two fingers !
      So not true, when my B-Series packed up in the middle of nowhere on the Yorkshire moors(sounding like no fuel), a nice couple stopped to help, and went off to buy me some fuel. When that didn't work they gave us a lift to a pub in town where we could wait for the recovery truck. Any they were in a BMW - not only restored my faith in human nature, but I also had to re-think my opinion of BMW drivers :-)

Comment

I think Harry means if you broke down in a tin top.

Comment

Think you've hit the nail on the head, Harry, couldn't agree more! See you up at the Ponderosa cafe! Gareth.

Comment

Hello Gareth, yes the Ponderosa eh, it was and I believe still is a top meeting place for many clubs, especially the biker fraternity, many is the time I've walked over there and stopped to check out a motor or two, you may well meet me one day up there, hopefully not in the fog !

Comment

Hello, I think you were lucky, probably because you were driving a car that represents ( As I said, another era) and many folk respond to that. It may be my age but I really believe that driving today has become a largely miserable affair, especially down south, I have no problem with BMW drivers, it used to be Volvo drivers that were castigated not so long back, I've had a number of both makes, so I must have been bad for years, hehehe.

Comment

I have to say that it almost became annoying when I brock down with mine one day the wire had come off the fuel pump and I had to keep crawling back out from under the back end to explain to the five people who stopped one after the other that I had found the problem and was able to fix it!
                I didn't really mind especially as when one of the ladies that had stopped shouted as she left if you are sure by the way lovely car.

Comment

Working...
                X