why did you buy a marlin ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why did you buy a marlin ?

what made you choose a marlin ? . twenty five years ago a roadster made a u turn in front of me at chedder gorge normally being a motorcyclist i would have giving him a right mouthfull but i thought i like the look of that bought a kit car mag went to sandown kit car show saw the marlin stand and ordered one the end !!!!

Re: why did you buy a marlin ?

Cause my beetle died and the marlin came up cheap on ebay. Lol. I did consider a beach buggy first cause its tax exempt like my beetle was. Cant afford 3 cars on the road anymore so am taking the marlin off the road doing my trailer test and put my land rover back on the road and tow it to events.

Comment

My friend offered me a box of bits cheep half of it was missing but it looked like fun so I bought it 14 years later I drove it for the first time last summer boy is it fun had a few teething troubles but this year I intend to live in it :0) come on summer!

Comment

My Dad liked them (don't know where he became aware of them) and got me into the idea of having one. I was super lucky that my folks got mine for me for my 18th birthday :-)

Comment

My dad is in to old cars and saw a Marlin roadster laid up so he sorted it out and got it roadworthy again. When I moved away from home I used to drive it when I came home, eventually he said if I had a garage to keep it in I could have it. It was a mark 1 with a 1200 hearald engine in it. It was a great fun car to drive but lacked power. Now on my second Roadster as I bought a straight 6 2000cc one. Still great fun but a bit more power to play with. See pics below of Black Marlin I and Blue Marlin II.
          DSCF1972.jpgExeter kit car show 1.jpg
          Last edited by Marlindan1965; 20-02-13, 08:32 PM.

Comment

For me it was love at first sight! Back in 1982 a friend of mine had a copy of Kit Car magazine of which I borrowed. Flicking through the pages I came across the black and white advert of the Roadster parked somewhere on the Moors. It was the car that I had always dreamed of and the car I had to have so in 1986 I bought one and have had it ever since. I will never sell it and will always be thankful to Paul Moorhouse for such a beautiful design. Outright Classic!

Comment

Purchased my marlin when I was 19 in 1986 after seeing it in the kit car mag. Collected the kit from Plymouth with my late dad, who also helped me build it. Put it on the road in 1988, have many great years with the car with lots of special memories, and also competing in classic trails. Currently under going a full rebuild after several years off the road. Will never sell the car , and when my son is older hope he can also enjoy the car.

Comment

Early eighties I was looking for a Triumph Vitesse based kit but both the Gentry and the Spartan still used the old donor chassis. Then saw an advert for the Marlin Roadster and yes it had its own replacement chassis. Just knew I had to have one. Couldnt bring myself to break my Vitesse convertible so bought another to build a hybrid in 1985 and on the road 1987. Yes the Vitesse is still waiting for a rebuild and the Marlin has a bit of patina now. Love it !

My son fell in love with the original slab sided Mk1 at our very first Stoneleigh and years later we the found an abandoned project that has turned into another very smart car. Well done Paul Moorhouse.
                Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

the only problem in the eightes was at kit car shows there were so many manufactures to choose from sadly most of them have fallen by the wayside but a lot of the kits are still around.also in the eightys there were so many more kitcar shows remember chatam,sandown, kempton park,ect all gone and i remember all of them were packed .stonleigh was always the big one but that is not quie the same i wonder whats killing the shows iva, admission price or the good old british weather rant over better stll sit down and have a nice cup of tea

Comment

I think the demise of the shows is down to the reduction of manufacturers - or those still in business not bothering to attend. The last show I went to was The Great Yorkshire one and there wasn't a lot there ( I don't think Marlin attended) - in fact it was the various owners club stands that saved/made the show (MOC being one of the best turned out). I remember being a bit peeved to have to pay £10 for my wife as passenger when I was actually providing the content for their show.

Comment

I bought mine last year after my mate who built it passed away, its a red roadster, MGB engine with overdrive box, marina suspension reg AJL500B,I love it.had a few minor teething problems with it but its pretty good for a kit car .latest mod is to be the gear box cossmember the one thats fitted is horrible.

Comment

I bought mine after selling my motorbike I'd had for 37 years. Went to the Stoneleigh kit car show and had a look around to see what was what and ended up answering an advert for a red Roadster up in Yorkshire. The guy took us up onto the moors and I fell in love, ( with the car, not the guy! ). Wish I'd bought one years ago. It has what bikers call the " Grin Factor ", I just keep smiling when driving the car, though that could just be wind.....
                        If you look at July in last years calendar, that's mine.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Gareth; 25-02-13, 08:27 PM.

Comment

I used to run Austin 7's but they got a bit dangerous on the road (max speed 40mph) so after some friends had accidents, I sold them all and looked for a kit to build. Spent about 2 years at various meets and shows and shortlisted to 3, being Marlin, JBA and NG. visited the manufacturers and finally selected a Marlin LWB Cabrio. Took 4.5 years to build and I am a very happy Marliner.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Hi Stewart , is that the Thames at Lalehem reach? Chris.

Comment

Like that photo Gareth! Effective trick using colour photo on B/W background. Calendar material if there ever was.
                              Franklin, Leicester

Comment

Working...
                              X