External Air Filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• External Air Filter

I'm just starting to fit my new header tank, and although it'll all fit in I'm not keen on having the air filter right next to a hot water tank where it is on the bulkhead. I was thinking I might cut a hole in the
    bonnet and have something like a K&N RC-2000 poking out the top.

I've seen plenty of cars with air filters poking out the top & sides, but was wondering if there would be a problem if it rains and then sucking water in? Are some filters more water resistant than others, or
    would there not be enough water ingress to be a problem?

I'd be grateful of any advice before I spend any money and/or get busy with a hacksaw.

Re: External Air Filter

Cant see it as a particular problem, losts of motorcycles have quite exposed air filters.

A little water in the air fuel mix may infact help.
    If you believe wikipdia.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_injection_(engines)

Comment

This is what I've made up for my Fiat engine in my Roadster and they have been fine.
      Attached Files

Comment

Plenty of hot rods with exposed engines & filters...or maybe just fit some cooling ducts into the bonnet..?

As for the efficacy of water injection, if it was good enough for RR Merlins & Griffons then bring it on...just add a V12 with forced induction to really justify it..!
        Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
        Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Thanks. It looks like I was being over-cautious about the water and seems like it might actually be a good thing! Bits ordered and hacksaw at the ready :-)

Comment

It works my scooby sti has a water injection spray to improve boost

Comment

One point worth mentioning is that if you use your car during damp cold weather e.g. rain/snow in winter (I live in Sweden, I know!) you could run into some problems due to the carbs icing up. As Carbs suck in the fuel/air mixture there is a sharp drop in temperature (in the carb) which can result in a considerable ice build up. This causes the airflow to be restricted and the car runs as if on full choke - this is the reason why the standard air cleaner body draws air from the area above the exhaust manifold in cold weather. Injection engines do not have this problem as they are injected.

Comment

I drove a Lotus Six all year round with ram pipes through the side panel and never had a problem. It's true that icing can be a problem but mostly on variable choke (SU and similar) but stopping for a few minute will clear that.

Comment

Working...
                X