Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacement tyres - best choice for a Hunter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement tyres - best choice for a Hunter?

Hi all
    My Hunter has a 2 litre DOHC 8-valve engine - so power output is fairly modest. It was fitted with Toyo tyres by the factory, and when I had to replace one of them a year ago I naturally matched them up with another Toyo. One of my local tyre garages managed to locate one in a day or two at a cost of around £60 I think.

In the dry they hold the road like being on a railway line, and are only slightly twitchy at the rear in the wet. Frosty mornings are a no-go, especially on the naff country lanes around me in Herts.

Looking ahead to replacing the whole lot, I would be interested to read views of other members. With a minimal annual mileage, long life is not the main requirement. However, keeping the cost down will be.

Cheers
    Mike

Re: Replacement tyres - best choice for a Hunter?

Mike, I use Toyo's 195 x 65 x 15, on my Cabrio, pressure at 20 psi all round, and have never had a problem, they grip well in all conditions.

Terry

Comment

Mike. I use Toyo Proxes T1R 205x55R16 on my Hunter. Pressure set 20 psi all round. I pump them up when they get down to 18psi. They also grip well in all conditions. I have shimmed the rear hubs to get the notorious excessive rear toe in down to 1mm per side max. Before that it was a bit twitchy at the rear. See many previous forum posts about rear toe-in correction. That is a really worthwhile fix and so cheap and easy to do. Saves excesssive rear tyre wear too, which was the reason the rear toe-in error first came to light! Also as per previous posts, check that your rear shock absorbers are not set too hard. Mine are GAZ adjustables. Optimum setting was achieved by starting fully "soft" then adjusting harder one click at a time until the rear just ceased to oscillate on a choppy road. Peter.
      Last edited by greyV8pete; 22-02-13, 11:12 PM. Reason: cease changed to ceased

Comment

Try this website on tyre reviews, its very helpfull but you need to read some of the peoples comments as some say the best tyres are crap !! www.tyrereviews.co.uk
        Last edited by CABRIOBOB; 23-02-13, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Thanks guys
          That is all useful stuff.

Cheers
          Mike

Comment

Working...
          X