Fuel Sender Tank Gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Sender Tank Gasket

Should there be a gasket under the fuel sender unit on the Cabrio? If "yes" what is it made from / where can I get one? If "no" does anyone know who supplies a fuel resistant sealant in a tube? None of the Halfords products say they are suitable for fuel. I know that silicone is a no no as it swells up and gets in the fuel lines. Peter.

Re: Fuel Sender Tank Gasket

Cornflake packet is my usual but I suppose in this current high tech world it won't have the appropriate eMark. (Bet it would work though...)

Comment

Hi Peter, not very up dated on the Cabrio but my guess would be that a gasket is necessary. Maybe a thin cork might be the answer depending how the sender is fitted i.e bolted or twist fit in like the roadster. Most of the later Fords had a rubber seal if my memory serves ect. but i would guess it would not be to difficult to make up. Only down the road so if you want "2 heads" only to pleased to oblige. ............Cheers Chris

Comment

Hey Robert, I have used Special K"" as it is "Slimmer" Sorry mate , could not resist it! Cheers chris

Comment

Hi Peter,
          you want some of this....

Hylomar Ltd manufactures a wide range of high performance sealants and adhesives used by many of the leading OEM’s in the world of automotive, aerospace, white goods, power generation/distribution, electronics/photonics and general engineering.

try a motor factor or eBay,

...peter

Comment

Many thanks to all for the suggestions. I have used the Blue Hylomar in the past but never needed it for fuel so I was not aware that it would work with that. Used to get it at Halfords but it has vanished from their shelves lately. Will shop around. My sender unit is held in with set screws which is why I suspected a gasket will be required. There is a lot of red haemetite around it, which being unsuitable, has crumbled away. Peter.

Comment

I used to use an aerosol Blue Hylomar, hang the gasket on a nail then spray it as required and leave to absorb a while, then do the other side. It cut back on the tiny beads of Hylomar I kept finding which partly blocked the oil strainers on the suction pipe in the sump.

Hylomar M Aerosol gasket sealant and Jointing Compound. Large stocks of all Hylomar Products. Phone, buy online or visit us at Castle Combe Circuit.

It states:

The compound is resistant to a wide range of fluids including all industrial fuels, oils, water, air, turbine and piston engine combustion products, methanol mixtures and all petroleums.

So it should be OK for E10. Provided the Cornflake packet has the appropriate 'E' markings of course!
              Last edited by Robert in Cumbria; 02-03-13, 08:56 AM. Reason: Added link

Comment

Hi peter,
                If you are going to make a gasket yourself check out Viton Rubber Sheet on eBay.Available in various thicknesses.
                We used to use it for chemical flange joints in our factory and it is supposed to be suitable for Automotive and Aviation fuels.

Regards Austin

Comment

Many thanks for the info Robert. I have managed to get a tube of blue Hylomar from the local A1 Motorstores today.

Likewise thanks to Austin. My sender unit is bolted to a ring which itself is bolted to the tank. Both joints have fibre gaskets but also lots of red haemetite goo which has perished. I am hoping that the Hylomar and some new gaskets cut from sheet will be enough to do the job for now but I will also look into the Viton rubber as a back stop. The unit is so easily accessible I can easily upgrade to that later after the diff job is done.

So today the new tank straps are all painted and rubber lined. The bad news is that the tank still needs to be dropped about 20mm after all to get the top straps off the studs, as they need the holes slotting as well so the tank will move back. And so it goes on!

A bit of good news is that I have found the source of an annoying water leak in the boot. There is no caulking around the filler neck between it and the fibreglass recess for the fuel cap, so when it rains that acts as a funnel for the water, straight into the boot!

Score so far for “just” replacing the diff mount is: New billet machined diff mount; Tank straps renewed; Boot water leak traced; Fuel leak found; Fuel sender accessible so adjustment still to do; Improved ratio diff to fit, due Monday. What a voyage of discovery! I wonder what else I can find to do while I am under there? Peter.

Comment

How's your powder coating - or are you lucky and don't have any ?

Comment

Originally posted by dcunn View Post
                      How's your powder coating - or are you lucky and don't have any ?
                      Mostly had peeled off the diff outriggers. Removed the rest with Nitromors and painted two coats of Finnegans Smoothrite Satin finish. It's a good match for powder coat and goes straight on over rust, provided it is wire brushed first. Used this paint to recoat the chassis sides where required, so it all blends in visually. Every time the powder coat has failed it is due to poor surface preparation due to lack of prior sand blasting and degreasing. Blueing oxidised surface is visible around any welded areas and sharp edges straight from the guillotine have caused too thin a coating locally, hence why most of the peeling starts at sharp edges. I always dress a radius on these sharp edges before re coating with paint. Peter.
                      Last edited by greyV8pete; 03-03-13, 09:08 AM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Originally posted by greyV8pete View Post
                        So today the new tank straps are all painted and rubber lined. The bad news is that the tank still needs to be dropped about 20mm after all to get the top straps off the studs, as they need the holes slotting as well so the tank will move back. And so it goes on!

A bit of good news is that I have found the source of an annoying water leak in the boot. There is no caulking around the filler neck between it and the fibreglass recess for the fuel cap, so when it rains that acts as a funnel for the water, straight into the boot!

Score so far for “just” replacing the diff mount is: New billet machined diff mount; Tank straps renewed; Boot water leak traced; Fuel leak found; Fuel sender accessible so adjustment still to do; Improved ratio diff to fit, due Monday. What a voyage of discovery! I wonder what else I can find to do while I am under there? Peter.
                        Peter, welcome to the Marlin owners' world!
                        Although I am still building mine I had to remove all of this:

Just to drill and tap two 6mm set screws to hold my rear bumpers in position!

Then worse followed : when I put it all back together I had lost my carefully constructed parallel and consistent gap width door shut lines!

Arrrgh! .................still working on it but needed to come and let steam off!!!!!!!!!

Mike
                        Last edited by Mike; 03-03-13, 09:55 AM. Reason: photo did not copy

Comment

Hi Mike. That's encouraging, in an oblique sort of way!

As someone once said "It may take a while, but when it's all done it will be worth waiting for!"

I'm off underneath once again determined to get the tank straps sorted. Peter.

Comment

Working...
                          X