Using REDEX in petrol?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using REDEX in petrol?

I was speaking to a club mate recently about a 'flat-spot' or hunting I often get when a driving my Hunter particularly in a high gear at around 1700rpm. Accelerating through the gears is not usually a problem, but just coasting along at around 1700 rpm in 3rd,4th,5th gear can be a bit jerky. The engine is a Ford 2 litre Scorpio, and has done only 13,000 miles in its 15 year life. His suggestion was to squirt REDEX into the petrol tank every time I fill up. This he maintained would clean/lubricate the injectors, and make for smoother running.

So as a fairly low-cost experiment I bought a pack of bottles from Amazon. I got 6 No x 90ml bottles for around £8. The instructions said each one should be squirted into a 50 litre tank-full of petrol. So according to my arithmetic, this increases the effective cost of the fuel by about 3 pence per litre - no big deal I suppose nowadays.

I don't know whether the results are psychological or real, but the 1700rpm problem seems less obvious. I must admit that I am just having difficulties in accepting that 90ml of an oil in 50,000ml of petrol can do any good. I did put this jerking problem on the web-site some time ago, and received all sorts of helpful (but expensive thoughts) in the direction of electronic or other tuning tips. So what do you think of REDEX, guys?

Cheers
    Mike

Re: Using REDEX in petrol?

Hi Mike, I use Redex all the time in Ruby 1275cc. I dont even know wether it has an unleaded head or not but to be on the safe side I Redex all the time. I believe it also helps keep the fuel tank in good shape. That small percentage of oil stops any condensation in the tank turning to rust when the car is laid up for the winter. Cheers Chris

Comment

Redex = Snake oil
      If you believe it works, it probably does, but it's difficult if not impossible to quantify.
      The basic specification of petrol is a blend of several different streams of Hydrocarbons depending on the source of the crude oil, and with the addition of Ethanol there are small variations between every batch of fuel, since the prime objective is to meet a particular Octane rating.
      MOC member since 05/97
      1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
      1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
      Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
      The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

It definately works on my Diesal Ford Focus, you can feel the difference.

Never tried it on my Marlin (Petrol)

Adrian

Comment

A guy at Stoneleigh whilst talking about unleaded cylinder heads, told me he always used 2 stroke oil in his petrol.
          Well it works for 2 stroke engines, so I tried it, and it did make for a smoother running engine, I used it regularly after that.

Terry

Comment

I have been given some jollop called "archoil AR6200 Fuel Modification Complex High Concentrate"

5ml(one teaspoon) per 50litres. wow must be some concentrate. It says on the label it does almost anything.

Anyone used it does it work?
            Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Working...
            X