Mike's Cabrio Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Mike's Cabrio Build

Well done Mike, its nearly impossible to get everything correct, and just a few minor fixes.

Comment

Well done Mike
      I don't think commiserations are in order but hearty congratulations on your achievements. Just a small lean forward to break the finishing tape now.
      Once through I know you will take spanner in hand again and continue the never-ending improvements.
      Well done, chin up.
      Brian

Learning more about:
      June '73 Marina based Mk2 Roadster
      1800 TC; 4 speed gearbox; 4.55:1 differential with 4.5pcd (the rare one!)

Another interest -www.somersetschoolsathletics.org.uk
      And another - 'Tractor Doctors' skittle team

Comment

Congratulations on so nearly doing it. It looks great and wonder what colour its going to be? Just less than 6 months to Stoneleigh! Fancy being thwarted by a bit of plastic. regards Liz & Doug

Comment

The more I think about the more unlucky I think you were.
          The adjustment on the cable is to accommodate wear on the brake pads. It changes the number of clicks on the brake handle. Unless there was excessive travel it should not increase the braking. I too wonder if they needed bedding in. It might be worth driving a few yards gently stopping with the handbrake before the retest.
          When I changed the brakes on my Mini I imagined the new brakes would greatly improve my stopping distance. It was a close run thing but I quickly learned how important bedding in is.
          I have no doubt that you will pass second time. I nearly failed the second time because the rear fog light was not as bright as it should be. This too was a brand new bog standard fitment. In the end I ran to a nearby shop and bought a new one. I think they had to turn a blind eye while I fitted it.
          I fitted U channel to the bumpers I can’t help thinking that is easier than grinding and polishing and, touch wood, fail safe.
          Paul

Comment

Hi Mike. Thanks for letting me observe the IVA at first hand. As everyone else has said, you could not have done more. It's doubly frustrating when it's component failure and the examiner is obviously bending over backwards within the guidelines to help.The observation I came away with, for the benefit of those who are likely to go through the IVA in the future, is that after experiencing the SVA personally and as an observer and now the IVA, I would advise filtering out the paranoia that seems to surround it . From what I saw, if the examiner thinks you have tried to comply with the required criteria, then you've probably got 50% of the way. If on the other hand the vehicle is carelessly presented, the examiner is likely to look more intently. A bit like buying a another car, you've probably made your mind up in the first ten minutes whether you like it or not. No need to wish you luck with the retest Mike, it'll be a breeze. Regards David.
            Last edited by Mike; 07-11-13, 12:45 AM. Reason: I posted my reply directly into this post, so had to remove it.

Comment

Tough sh1t Mike, probably had to issue a 'fail' because the result is logged on the big computer in the sky, if it wasn't logged i suspect a pass on that item as the vehicle was well presented ie 99% 'acceptable' etc - I'm sure if he could he would! I think no probs next time just a real pain in the bum!

as an aside, had a similar experience with my Berly at mot time, the horn didn't work, we(tester and I)had a word about it, the earth was probably the problem, however couldn't easily get at it(located behind the front grill and no spanners to remove said grill. He said quietly to me get it fixed asap and i won't fail you, agreed to do so and 30 mins after arriving at my mums it was working again. The tester indicated the car wa s well presented so he had no qualms about the'minor prob!

Comment

Well done Mike,
                it cheers me up to know you got your cabrio through the IVA (well it should have- they were very minor faults)
                and spurs me on to finish mine.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by westy View Post
                  Well done Mike,
                  it cheers me up to know you got your cabrio through the IVA (well it should have- they were very minor faults)
                  and spurs me on to finish mine.

Steve
                  Hi Steve

You have cheered me up too!

You are exactly the kind of guy I had in mind when writing my build diary - to give a bit back to anyone building their Marlin, whether new, or a major rebuild.

Simon Gregory kept a diary of his Cabrio build which was a great inspiration to me, along with Peter Edwardes, Robin Martin and Patrick Short who were posting their Sportster builds in my early years, and latterly Nigel Beats and Ian Morris with their Sportster too. I drew great a great deal from all of them, and only hope my diary has given others half the pleasure (and hope) that I derived from their build diaries.

May I urge anyone out there who has a story to tell to post it up on the Forum - you'll probably start by thinking no one will be interested in little old you - but you will slowly be amazed - there have been over 10,000 visits to my build - truly amazing!

So please, as my build draws to a close, let's have someone new start entertaining the troops- it really does not have to be a full blown build. Scott has picked up the cudgel: how about you Westy? Or Angus with your Zetec engine swap which must be of real interest to quite a lot of Roadster owners?

It may be a few weeks before I get the time to sort out my fail items due to social, domestic and now ironically work pressures.

Many thanks for all the kind words from so many of you - (it is quite humbling since my Cabrio failed).

Mike
                  Last edited by Mike; 07-11-13, 12:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by copperleaves11 View Post
                    Hi Mike. Thanks for letting me observe the IVA at first hand. As everyone else has said, you could not have done more. It's doubly frustrating when it's component failure and the examiner is obviously bending over backwards within the guidelines to help.The observation I came away with, for the benefit of those who are likely to go through the IVA in the future, is that after experiencing the SVA personally and as an observer and now the IVA, I would advise filtering out the paranoia that seems to surround it . From what I saw, if the examiner thinks you have tried to comply with the required criteria, then you've probably got 50% of the way. If on the other hand the vehicle is carelessly presented, the examiner is likely to look more intently. A bit like buying a another car, you've probably made your mind up in the first ten minutes whether you like it or not. No need to wish you luck with the retest Mike, it'll be a breeze. Regards David.

David has made a very good point here.
                    The IVA has been demonised in the media, but my over riding feeling by the end of it was that it was nothing like as bad as it is made out to be. Far from an examiner trying to find fault with my car - which in truth was how I felt at the beginning of the test, my examiner was, at the end, trying to fix my problems for me, and willing us to get a pass.

Despite getting off to a terrible start (finding the brake pedal clevis pin had jarred out) my examiner was able to form a view that I had made a very real attempt to prepare my car correctly for the IVA test, and tried his best (within the confines of his professional duty to test my car fairly) to help me get a pass on the day.
                    I agree with David whole heartedly that the paranoia around IVA should be avoided, and Peter Edwardes positive atttitude of reading the manual, and aiming to pass will see most builders through to a successful outcome.

One final point, and I'll sign off - Danny Nelson floated an idea that it may have been a good idea to have an MOT test as a pre-requisite for the IVA test?

In my case it would certainly have highlighted the missing clevis pin, the different profile tyres, and the lack of sufficient handbrake pressure. That would have left only a couple of very minor sharp edges at the IVA test, which would have easily been remedied before the end of the test. In hindsight, it would have been a very good idea for my build.

Comment

Not an official test of course that would prove difficult, but a trained set of eyes looking at that side of things (maybe even more relevant if you intend to drive your car to the IVA testing station.) Just a thought as you focus on meeting the IVA requirements. Anyway it was just something that came up in conversation with Mike last night. Well done Mike ,and I am sure that your build will indeed help others.

Comment

I had my cabrio MOTed prior IVA. It picked up a few minor issues, the most significant being the mounting of the inertial reel for the centre strap of the full harness seatbelts. Other items were washer jets (run out of water!), headlamp beam patterns (I had to replace the Marlin supplied seal beam units with a modern units taking H4 bulbs).
                        It also gave me an excuse to drive legally on the road.

I must say that the examiner I had in Taunton was fair as he could be in performing the tests. I marginally failed the brake test until he told me to drive it around the test centre and warm the pads up. My seat belts were 1mm too low, but he passed them based on the assumption that the seat cushion would compress with use. On the other fail points I had (mostly radii) he advised me what he expected to see at the re-test.

Going through IVA is an anxious process but I think the majority of examiners are fair and with a well prepared car they will do their best to interpret the rules favourably.

Comment

I think Mike needs to build another one as I am going to miss my daily dose of drama and suspense. Eastenders could learn a thing or two about cliff hangers !!

Great job Mike & car looks good. I confess to taking the easy option of buying a finished build.

Comment

Hi Mike great shame your car did not pass first time but from what I have read on other forums like locost builders it is quite rare that a car passes first time. I only go on there forum to look at there zetec installs but read some of there posts about IVA. You are qute right about me starting a build diary I should really do this but it doses take time to wright posts and life and work get in way plus being badly dyslexic means it seems to take me ages to wright a post which would be worthy of a read. Good luck with the retest you are defiantly going to be on the road before me as I have not had time to do any thing on mine for a couple of months due to being busy with work.
                            Angus

Comment

Originally posted by HappyDave View Post
                              Good job Mike, those minor points, whilst annoying, will soon be resolved. If its any consolation my cortina cable is exactly the same however the mot tester fitted a bit of rubber sleeve and a pipe clip to hold the useless plastic adjuster in place! Not sure mr iva would've liked that approach though! All the best for the retest, when are you taking it in?

Dave

Hi Dave

We did discuss possible options at the time.
                              The first was exactly your solution, but the examiner was not keen on quote: "a bodge" particularly since it did not provide any adjustment.
                              A second option was to attach a jubilee clip around the nut to squeeze it tighter onto the threads of the cable case to see if we could stop the cable pulling through.
                              By the time we had thought of this possible solution my Cabrio was off the lift ramps, and despite there being no other vehicles behind us, "Health & Safety rules" meant we could not have access to the lift during the examiner's lunch hour.
                              This was the nail in the coffin, so I gave up at this point, and accepted my fate.

Purely out of interest I may try fitting a jubille clip to the nut tonight, before removing my cable, just to see if it would have worked.

I believe your MOT tester's solution is quite common on road going Ford hand brakes - my problem was the IVA testers standards/guidelines were understandably a little higher for a "new car".

Mike

Comment

I had a nag in the back of my brain about this problem and so did a quick google and came across the rhocar site (yet again - it seems a lot of what they have done to their cars is the same as what I have done on mine ...) anyhow....

Hi chaps, the handbrake cable in my 2B isn't working very well (to the point that it's pulling through the adjusters on the driver side). I assume it's a Sierra cable, but what are the modifications? Anything else I need to watch out for concerning the handbrake? I read about someone else who had...

It's a Sierra one, to suit drums or discs depending on what you have on your car. The only mod is that it's shortened. As I recall (and it was a long time ago I did this) you get a standard Sierra one, thread it through where it needs to go and seat it one end. You then will end up with a lot of excess on the other end which you need to cut off. To make the block on the end use the shank of an appropriate sized bolt (probably about M8) and drill a hole for the cable. Pass the cable through. To lock it on you have two options. Either a cold chisel and a big hammer to swage it on (Tricky did this in the build video) or (the way I did it) leave about 10mm or so excess cable and then use a MIG welder to chase it back to the bolt shank. That way you get a blob of weld that locks the bolt shank on.

Tim’s system works but as with all things Hoodie there are other ways.
                                Another way is to cut the new cable (inner) in half and assemble both half’s to the car then pass the cut ends through the D shaped part that is on the handbrake pull rod in opposite directions and clamp them together using small wire cable clamps obtainable at most DIY outlets. Use 2 on each side to be on the safe side, this is how I did mine and it's still good after 5+ years. Tim’s system is neater (that is if you are prone to looking under your car) but there is always a chance of your home made nipple pulling off also if you have discs on the back then you have little choice but to cut the cable as I have described as the end has a slotted nipple to fit over the hook on the calliper.

Comment

Working...
                                X