Mike's Cabrio Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Mike's Cabrio Build

My fuel gauge has not proven particulary adept at showing how much fuel is in my tank. In fact both of my senders have ended up sticking, and over stating the true position, so I thought it was time to put this right.

The Cabrio tank is quite shallow, which requires the sender arm to be shortened significantly to scribe through its full arc from empty........

Fuel Sender - Empty.JPG

...... through to full

Fuel Sender - Full.JPG

It took several goes at bending the float arm to the right shape to get it to calibrate a reading for Empty, 1/4 , and Full when appropriate.

At least now I have a gauge which I can trust at 1/4 Full, and Empty which are the main indicators.
    To stop the arm sticking I soldered a second arm to the float giving it a little more weight, and it seems to work very well.
    Last edited by Mike; 10-06-17, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Couldn't resist posting this beautiful view................

35157953856_ffe9847cc3_b.jpg
      Last edited by Mike; 10-06-17, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Car looks great Mike angouther Calander worthey picture.

Comment

I feel quite chuffed today........................

Due to my father's failing health and recent passing, I've not had the time to have a play with my Cabrio for 6 months: it went into the garage and on to SORN in November, and has gathered dust ever since.
          Earlier this week I suddenly realised I'd need an MOT before I could tax it in order to attend Stoneleigh.

Last night I put the battery charger on for an hour, and then carried out a few quick electrical checks: the engine fired up first time, and all the electrical items worked perfectly. So off she went for an MOT without any preparation........... and she's come back with a Pass.

See you all at Stoneleigh - probably Sunday?

Regards

Mike

Comment

Hi mike,

If the marlin box is so poor do you think there is there a way of installing the original BMW box?
            if all goes to plan I will need to fit the drive by wire accelerator pedal too somehow

Comment

Originally posted by 272berry View Post
              Hi mike,

If the marlin box is so poor do you think there is there a way of installing the original BMW box?
              if all goes to plan I will need to fit the drive by wire accelerator pedal too somehow
              Hi Berry

The footwell is very restricted in a Marlin - I doubt you will be able to fit the standard E46 accelerator DBW pedal.

I have narrowed my transmission tunnel by around 50mm, making my footwell much wider, but still do not intend to fit the standard E46 pedal.
              I have sourced a variable potentiometer from the E39 M5 DBW set up which I will connect mechanically to my Marlin accelerator pedal.

Can you see this image?
              Last edited by Mike; 15-10-18, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Hi Mike,
                The original DBW pedal in the 330 looks to be abs plastic with a plastic mount fixed to the foot well looking at the pics of the Marlin pedalbox I can see it might be tricky
                I'm arranging to visit the factory at the end of the month so it will be interesting to hear what they have to say about this
                Looking through your thread it looks like you have done some major welding mods to the Cabrio kit to make things work for you-- are there any of these you consider it would be worth me asking Marlin to incorporate in their standard design prior to manufacturing the kit?

Comment

Originally posted by 272berry View Post
                  Hi Mike,
                  The original DBW pedal in the 330 looks to be abs plastic with a plastic mount fixed to the foot well looking at the pics of the Marlin pedalbox I can see it might be tricky
                  I'm arranging to visit the factory at the end of the month so it will be interesting to hear what they have to say about this
                  Looking through your thread it looks like you have done some major welding mods to the Cabrio kit to make things work for you-- are there any of these you consider it would be worth me asking Marlin to incorporate in their standard design prior to manufacturing the kit?
                  Definitely ask them to narrow the transmission tunnel by 40mm in the drivers footwell.
                  Depending how tall you are, having the seat floor lowered for the driver is good - I'm long in my back, so lowered the floor 70mm at the rear and 20mm at the front. Its a much better seat position than standard (which leaves you looking out of the top of the screen.

They will tell you they are not prepared to do it.

Tell them you will not place an order then .......Terry will change her mind!

See my build details for how to achieve these.

Also ask for the tub to be completely seam welded - they only stitch weld which I think is inadequate.

Comment

Thanks Mike will take approach recommended with Terry!

Comment

Hi again mike
                      What should be the overall footwell width dimension following 40mm extension into the transmission tunnel
                      Likewise if the seat area is to be lowered are the dims you give from below the main chassis box section steels (just need to be clear with these points when I ask the question in case I’m told there have been mods on the kit since yours was made)
                      Is there any mod possible to accommodate the bmw brake diaphragm can it be fitted now with the 40mm shift in footwell position
                      I was considering siting of abs pump assembly outside of the engine bay do you think this would be practically possible
                      Cheers Berry

Comment

Ps.have found a company reasonably local to do ecu mods on the 330i who mainly serve the drift fraternity I’m guessing This is part of the reason why the manual 330 is quite hard to find these days as sought after for track use. Will let you know if they manage to sort things out I have been quoted less than 100£! and assured many cars have been similarly modified for track use without issue

Comment

A long lost thread……….

Its been a while since I last posted anything on my build thread: but with good cause - my latest project had been to build a new Oak framed house in the garden- right in the middle of the COVID pandemic - not the best of times! However, it’s built now, so I’m gradually getting back to old interests.

I pulled my Cabrio out of storage - I think it had not moved in 2 years - and found the Brake Master Cylinder had failed.
                          Surprisingly when I ran an internet search for a replacement every site came back “Not in stock”.
                          At the same time Nigel reported a similar issue with his BMC in his Sportster, and had met with the same failed search.

Luckily Peter Edwards saw my problem and somehow managed to find a generic version that was available: the only issue being it was cast with dual port options for either LHD or RHD.

10E5308E-AF51-4A68-9C3F-F201E3ABF18F.jpg
                          The original BMC with dedicated RHD port only.

E5C920C9-52DE-4128-B2E1-669D20474907.jpg

The new BMC with castings for both LHD and RHD. As can be seen the additional LHD port casting has the potential to foul on the bonnet side. Luckily for me my later Cabrio has the pedal box with an angled face to allow more clearance between the BMC end and the bonnet side. Earlier Cabrios with the straight face may run into fouling issues.
                          However, as the unused LHD casting has not been drilled and tapped it is very likely the casting could be removed without issue?

Sorry - I can not delete this last image!
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Mike; 10-08-22, 11:03 PM.

Comment

Hi Mike. I did cut the corner off the redundant boss ok but found another issue with that master cylinder. Will try to email you this evening as I can attach some photos more easily using that. Peter.

Comment

Working...
                            X